Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Kernel Deprecates The 80 Character Line Coding Style

Phoronix: The Linux Kernel Deprecates The 80 Character Line Coding Style

The Linux kernel has officially deprecated its coding style that the length of lines of code comply with 80 columns as the "strong preferred limit"...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gonna have to start splitting the screen horizontally instead of vertically.

Comment

Switching to 100 seems a bit tame. It would be interesting to see what the average length would be if line breaks in existing code were accounted for.

Seems like 120 ot so might have been a better extension.

Comment

Let's mourn all the 100 purists in the world who will never find peace because of this.

This is part of the broader trend that most are no longer using 80x25 terminals but with today's high resolution displays the terminal sizes are often larger though some preferring the default in order to allow more terminals to be displayed simultaneously on their nice displays.
        I thought 640x480 VGA displays were last sold over 25 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
          Switching to 100 seems a bit tame. It would be interesting to see what the average length would be if line breaks in existing code were accounted for.

Seems like 120 or so might have been a better extension.
          True, especially since they seem to update the coding style once in 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Let's mourn all the 100 purists in the world who will never find peace because of this.
            I thought 640x480 VGA displays were last sold over 25 years ago.
            Totally missing the point?
            80 chars was not much of a thing because of resolution or terminal width even 25 years ago.
            It's because 80 chars actually served a purpose in forcing people to write readable code instead of nested hell and variables in novel form.
            It still does to this day. We are still talking about C and the Linux kernel.

The issue I have with increasing this limit is when does 100 chars become the "occasional line" instead of the norm?
            To my eyes, kernel code written to exceed more than 80 chars is usually badly structured, badly nested or generally suffer in the readability department.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post

Seems like 120 ot so might have been a better extension.
              Why 120 chars would be better? Does kernel code contain very long variable names, or functions with lots of arguments?

Comment

120 or 130 seem to be optimal line lengths for all languages, which is what I, ultimately, use for all my projects.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Why 120 chars would be better? Does kernel code contain very long variable names, or functions with lots of arguments?
                  It's mostly line wrapping length relative to the (1080p - width-of-IDE-sidebar)/<font size in px>. It's literally most common width of convenience based on actual hardware/software/font size people are using.
                  Last edited by arcivanov; 31 May 2020, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah, welcome to the 21st century ^^ 100 characters still seem less...
                    Now we only need an indentation width of 8 white spaces per tab.

Comment

Working...
                    X