No announcement yet.

Linux 5.7 Kernel Released With New Apple Driver, Official Intel Gen12 Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.7 Kernel Released With New Apple Driver, Official Intel Gen12 Graphics

Phoronix: Linux 5.7 Kernel Released With New Apple Driver, Official Intel Gen12 Graphics

As expected, Linus Torvalds just released the stable Linux 5.7 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    The usual Intel GPU updates. The usual AMD GPU updates. The usual FU from Nvidia.
    The solution is clear; if you can, just ignore Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      The usual Intel GPU updates. The usual AMD GPU updates. The usual FU from Nvidia.
      The usual "our proprietary drivers work just fine" vs "open source AMD drivers which receive constant numerous fixes even for minor versions and are still buggy as hell".

And add to this the fact that the kernel bugzilla is rife with hundreds of bugs no one cares about:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist....tatus=__open__

One company offers closed source quality, another one offers open source posturing.
      Last edited by birdie; 01 June 2020, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

The usual "our proprietary drivers work just fine" vs "open source AMD drivers which receive constant numerous fixes even for minor versions and are still buggy as hell".

And add to this the fact that the kernel bugzilla is rife with hundreds of bugs no one cares about:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist....tatus=__open__

One company offers closed source quality, another one offers open source posturing.
        Yeah, I guess not supporting Wayland is part of that "closed source quality".

Comment

The usual "our proprietary drivers work just fine" vs "open source AMD drivers".
          What do you mean by work just fine.
          Its wayland support is terrible, there is not even a xwayland support.
          At every kernel upgrade its compatability breaks, i gotta maintain that dkms stuff.
          It has many bugs, which explains why simple low end intel drivers feels much more smoother and faster across different windows manager and browsers than my Nvidia's 1060.
          It couldn't catch up many driver implementation as well. I lack the techical details but i saw that developers from Valve and Red Hat were recommending AMD cards for vr stuff because Nvidia couldn't implemented some features and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

Yeah, I guess not supporting Wayland is part of that "closed source quality".
            Not supporting experimental features which are still rife with show stoppers, right.

Originally posted by Rauros View Post

What do you mean by work just fine.
            Its wayland support is terrible, there is not even a xwayland support.
            At every kernel upgrade its compatability breaks, i gotta maintain that dkms stuff.
            It has many bugs, which explains why simple low end intel drivers feels much more smoother and faster across different windows manager and browsers than my Nvidia's 1060.
            It couldn't catch up many driver implementation as well. I lack the techical details but i saw that developers from Valve and Red Hat were recommending AMD cards for vr stuff because Nvidia couldn't implemented some features and stuff.
            Once Wayland becomes a decent graphics subsystem outside of Gnome, NVIDIA might change its stance.

Compatibility issues? What? Do you mean kernel developers breaking kernel APIs all the time? Where's NVIDIA's fault in that?

I had GTX 1060 for four years. Don't remember any issues with it and 2D was fast. I'm now running RX 5600 XT and not only I have the bugs listed above, the PC has crashed several times due to the GPU drivers.

Again, I couldn't care less whether drivers are open or closed however I do care whether they work or not, and how well they work.

And I have three serious issues with an AMD GPU right effing (I'm quite sure they affect almost everyone) now and NVIDIA is still bad. Time and again, open source fan prove that they don't care whether something works or not as long as it's open source: e.g. clipboard managers do not work in Wayland but we absolutely need to use it anyways.
            Last edited by birdie; 01 June 2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

My AMD GPU works just fine, actually. This is not to bash NVIDIA; I have no idea how good their drivers are as I've been using a Vega56 since shortly after it came out.

Comment

Closed source quality? Like Windows updates breaking system all the time, nvidia crashes, stuttering and so on? Where is nvidia bugtracker? Last time I had nvidia it was crashing in Windows. On Linux it was stable, but there were stuttering in games. All problems have gone with AMD RX 480. Two friends have exact problems with Windows 10 and nvidia on their laptops. If that's a 'closed source' quality then it's just a mess.
                Last edited by Volta; 01 June 2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cattus_D View Post
                  My AMD GPU works just fine, actually. This is not to bash NVIDIA; I have no idea how good their drivers are as I've been using a Vega56 since shortly after it came out.
                  Depending on the distribution, AMD GPUs can be a bit hit and miss for the first month or three after release. Basically that's people using Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Cent, and other such distributions that focus more on long term support than bleeding edge support. People running Arch, Manjaro, Fedora, Tumbleweed, etc tend not to have as many issues since they get newer kernel and Mesa versions faster.

On release day, AMD GPUs might as well be the Pedobear because almost every Linux distribution is too old.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Closed source quality? Like Windows updates breaking system all the time, nvidia crashes, stuttering and so on? Where is nvidia bugtracker? Last time I had nvidia it was crashing in Windows. On Linux it was stable, but there were stuttering in games. All problems have gone with AMD RX 480. Two friends have exact problems with Windows 10 and nvidia on their laptops. If that's a 'closed source' quality then it's just a mess.
                    Lol. The only issue I have with my RX 580 is a bug in Windows 10. When my monitor blanks out after 10 minutes it may or may not start blanking on and off again until I do a full power off and power on cycle for my display. Linux works just fine when that happens. Proprietary people problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X