Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Benchmarks - Previously Unimaginable Performance For Sub-$600 Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Benchmarks - Previously Unimaginable Performance For Sub-$600 Laptops

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Benchmarks - Previously Unimaginable Performance For Sub-$600 Laptops

A few weeks back I began delivering Ryzen 7 4700U Linux laptop benchmarks for this 8-core Zen 2 mobile CPU with Vega graphics. The results have been very good and the support is in good shape with the latest Linux kernel, but many have been wondering about the Ryzen 5 4500U. The Ryzen 5 4500U is beginning to appear in several $500~600 USD laptops and offers six cores. Here are benchmarks and initial impressions with the Lenovo Flex 5 that features a 14-inch 1080p display, 16GB dual channel memory, 256GB SSD, and the Ryzen 5 4500U all for just $599!

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This picture is going to be very commonplace over the next couple of years......

Intel charging fortunes for toasters, thanks AMD for bringing competition and innovation back to x86.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
      This picture is going to be very commonplace over the next couple of years......
      I have one question... why do Intel fanboys look like Santa Clause?!?

Also, that's a nice laptop! I've been looking for something portable for a few months and was willing to settle on a tablet, but a Ryzen laptop is tempting...

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        I have one question... why do Intel fanboys look like Santa Clause?!?
        Yes I also think clown would fit better.

Joking aside.
        The problem with amd mobile. It is almost impossible to get a good one. Have a look at Lenovo Dell etc almost non existent. Asus etc yes but delivery time (Ryzen 4X00) is not bearable at least here in Germany. Don't know if this is due to industry slowdown caused by locking down factories. Huge demand or some conspiracy run by intel ....

P.s. yes I know this is a Lenovo but already sold out
        Last edited by CochainComplex; 01 June 2020, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Intel charging fortunes for toasters, thanks AMD for bringing competition and innovation back to x86.
          Birdie is about to rant in 3.. 2.. 1.. GO!

Comment

Now it still needs a decent keyboard (layout). PgUp/Dn, Home/End all just as Fn-combos on the puny cursor keys... *sigh*
            (And wasn't it Lenovo who invented F1... F12 as not longer working normally but replaced with "multimedia keys"? So you had to Alt-Fn-F4 each time you wanted to close a window. Or imagine working with Inkscape like that... )
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

The CPU may be awesome, but the implementation is not. For me, any laptop under 15.4" is unusable. And while I understand some like smaller screens because of portability, the tiny keyboard is getting extra crammed because of those speakers. Working on this thing is not going to be very pleasant.

Like somebody above already said, we're going to be needing some more sensible designs. Which I'm sure will pop up, given time.

Now, imagine what AMD could have done, have they not insisted on using Vega graphics, but moved to RDNA instead. Vega is not that power inefficient when not pushed, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                Now it still needs a decent keyboard (layout). PgUp/Dn, Home/End all just as Fn-combos on the puny cursor keys... *sigh*
                (And wasn't it Lenovo who invented F1... F12 as not longer working normally but replaced with "multimedia keys"? So you had to Alt-Fn-F4 each time you wanted to close a window. Or imagine working with Inkscape like that... )
                You can change the behaviour of the function keys on BIOS settings as well as using Fn + Esc.
                Last edited by EvilHowl; 01 June 2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Benchmarks - Previously Unimaginable Performance For Sub-$600 Laptops

A few weeks back I began delivering Ryzen 7 4700U Linux laptop benchmarks for this 8-core Zen 2 mobile CPU with Vega graphics. The results have been very good and the support is in good shape with the latest Linux kernel, but many have been wondering about the Ryzen 5 4500U. The Ryzen 5 4500U is beginning to appear in several $500~600 USD laptops and offers six cores. Here are benchmarks and initial impressions with the Lenovo Flex 5 that features a 14-inch 1080p display, 16GB dual channel memory, 256GB SSD, and the Ryzen 5 4500U all for just $599!

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=29234
                  Michael, I have an issue with my new 15.6" 4500U model. My touchpad is not working on both Ubuntu 20.04 and Arch Linux, but it works on Fedora. And I can't set brightness below 50%. Updating the kernel to 5.7 didn't help. Have you encountered a similar issue? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

Michael, I have an issue with my new 15.6" 4500U model. My touchpad is not working on both Ubuntu 20.04 and Arch Linux, but it works on Fedora. And I can't set brightness below 50%. Updating the kernel to 5.7 didn't help. Have you encountered a similar issue? Thank you.
                    Haven't had any touchpad issues at all on 5.4 or 5.7.... Will check on the lower brightness issue as haven't played much with that while obviously using the touchpad constantly.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X