Linux Mint 20 To Better Fend Off Snaps, Improve NVIDIA Optimus Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 20 To Better Fend Off Snaps, Improve NVIDIA Optimus Support

Phoronix: Linux Mint 20 To Better Fend Off Snaps, Improve NVIDIA Optimus Support

Linux Mint 20 is in the works as the re-base off this popular desktop Linux distribution that in turn is derived from the Ubuntu package set. With Linux Mint 20 they are re-basing to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS packages but with better measures to ensure Snap packages don't end up on user systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is absolutely no reason for Mint to exist at this point. Mint 19.3 hasn't updated their kernel since flipping October 25th ( http://packages.linuxmint.com/search...kernel-generic ). All Mint is at this point is a terrible, broken version of Ubuntu. Please stop promoting it on this website.

It's really sad how many newbs fall into the trap that Mint is better than Ubuntu and then end up with a completely broken install due to no fault of their own. No one should promote Mint anywhere. It needs to stop.

How to fight snaps on Ubuntu easily:
    Code:
    sudo apt remove --purge snapd
    sudo apt-mark hold snapd
    Absolutely no reason to use Mint to "fight snaps".
    Last edited by Syretia; 01 June 2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Syretia View Post
      There is absolutely no reason for Mint to exist at this point. Mint 19.3 hasn't updated their kernel since flipping October 25th ( http://packages.linuxmint.com/search...kernel-generic ). All Mint is at this point is a terrible, broken version of Ubuntu. Please stop promoting it on this website.

It's really sad how many newbs fall into the trap that Mint is better than Ubuntu and then end up with a completely broken install due to no fault of their own. No one should promote Mint anywhere. It needs to stop.

How to fight snaps on Ubuntu easily:
      Code:
      sudo apt remove --purge snapd
      sudo apt-mark hold snapd
      Absolutely no reason to use Mint to "fight snaps".
      What a stupid comment. This is like saying that Ubuntu has no reason to exist, is a broken version of Debian, should not be promoted and users should use Debian instead.

Linux Mint has many advantages when compared to Ubuntu, is more user friendly (at least in my opinion), has great Flatpak support (unlike Ubuntu) etc. Ubuntu, on the other hand, has better enterprise support and tools focused on developers/makers. Both these OSes have their place.
      Last edited by AsciiWolf; 01 June 2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post

What a stupid comment. This is like saying that Ubuntu has no reason to exist, is a broken version of Debian, should not be promoted and users should use Debian instead.
        Ubuntu actually changes Debian in a way that is beneficial and keeps it up to date. Ubuntu doesn't leave their kernel without A SINGLE UPDATE for months. Mint adds nothing to Ubuntu that is beneficial. All of what they're describing can easily be done in Ubuntu. As shown above, Mint doesn't update their kernel after they release a version of the distro; this alone is pure insanity and reason enough for no one to ever use Mint.

Mint is not more user friendly than Ubuntu; it steals all of the user friendly bits FROM Ubuntu.
        Ubuntu works fine with flatpaks. All you have to do is install the flatpak package.
        Mint is simply a more broken version of Ubuntu that has no place in this day and age. The only benefit it ever provided (codecs) has been provided by Ubuntu for years now.
        Last edited by Syretia; 01 June 2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Syretia View Post
          That's a meta package that depends on regular updated packages in ubuntu repos, they don't roll their own kernel.

Depends: linux-headers-5.0.0-32-generic, linux-image-5.0.0-32-generic, linux-modules-extra-5.0.0-32-generic, linux-firmware

Comment

is that hard to make an apt package for chromium? i find their approach strange.

Comment

I don't want _any_ of that crap snap, flatpack etc. I want debs.

Comment

OMG. Something based on Ubuntu 18.04 has an old fucking kernel. I'm shocked, I tells ya, shocked.

Mint 20 based on 20.04 and kernel 5.4 should be out later this month.

Comment

Getting popcorn ...

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                    is that hard to make an apt package for chromium? i find their approach strange.
                    I'm using chromium snap with vaapi and his working well, all snaps are working without problem. Linux Mint is simply a old ideia without anything good to offer this days.

Comment

Working...
                    X