Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want A More Secure Computer At The Cost Of Performance? Linux 5.8 Landing L1d Flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want A More Secure Computer At The Cost Of Performance? Linux 5.8 Landing L1d Flushing

Phoronix: Want A More Secure Computer At The Cost Of Performance? Linux 5.8 Landing L1d Flushing

For those very concerned about CPU data sampling vulnerabilities, the Linux 5.8 kernel comes with the ability to flush the L1 data cache on each context switch. That's good for security, but will hurt the system performance with all the excess L1 cache flushing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Somebody please implement L1CI (level 1 cache isolation) already...

Comment

...masochists

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        due to recent snoop assisted data sampling vulnerabilites or the cache

Comment

OK, Why am I saying this again, instead of a flush, why not preload, and GAIN performance ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by tchiwam View Post
            OK, Why am I saying this again, instead of a flush, why not preload, and GAIN performance ? ...
            Mr. Dunning? Mr. Kruger? Anybody knows?

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post

Mr. Dunning? Mr. Kruger? Anybody knows?
              No offense taken...

Comment

Originally posted by tchiwam View Post
                Write dirty only lines to memory is much faster then read full size of L1 cache from it.

Comment

as offline gang can i disable this useless patch ?

Comment

lol out of context, seeing a photo of a CPU in front of a toilet would be the weirdest way to promote it.

Comment

Working...
                    X