Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Percentage For May Points To A New Multi-Year High

Phoronix: Steam Linux Percentage For May Points To A New Multi-Year High

Valve's May 2020 numbers show another uptick for Steam Linux gaming usage, pointing towards the Linux marketshare continuing to increase with the overall Steam user-base in this coronavirus period leading to record usage with the extra time spent by gamers at home...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

China isn't helping the Linux numbers... at least not yet.

Comment

They could count me in if I only knew how to add the GTA V from Epicgames in Lutris to Steam.
      That 'Add non-Steam game' doesn't work for me as I cannot browse to that folder.
      I don't know what kind of file manager Steam is using, but it's not showing the real folders and files.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        They could count me in if I only knew how to add the GTA V from Epicgames in Lutris to Steam.
        That 'Add non-Steam game' doesn't work for me as I cannot browse to that folder.
        I don't know what kind of file manager Steam is using, but it's not showing the real folders and files.
        it does show, but by default it is showing .desktop applications only. you can select it to show all files from the bottom. I have added few games into steam like that and they work fine with proton like that.

Comment

If Guy1524 can get Easy Anti-Cheat enabled games to work then I suspect over 1% Steam Marketshare is well within reach. It would be another big leap for Linux gaming.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...again/frvd12v/

Comment

It is impressive considering that the total number of users keeps going up, so in absolute terms Linux gaming sees very healthy growth. It is really sad that now that Linux gaming is more viable than ever, we keep seeing a reduced number of native ports from companies which supported Linux in the past. For example, where is Borderlands 3? Why Desperados won't come to Linux even though Shadow Tactics did? Divinity Original Sin 2? See where this is going? Games that would have been relatively easy to port and their predecessors were ported, are denied to Linux, even though today Linux drivers and infrastructure is much better than 4-5 years ago....

I hope this changes in the next few years because Linux is really getting mature for gaming by the month. Opensource drivers are awesome these days, SDL2 is very good, Wayland has matured....

Comment

This increase probably has to do with me finally getting the survey this weekend, after 3-4 years of playing.

It's funny that I didn't get it on Unity then Gnome 3, and at first launch of Steam while trying Budgie out, I got it. I didn't even play and since I add DRI_PRIME=1 option to games launch settings, it will report a shitty iGPU. I'm really sorry for Linux stats, it was really just about launching it to pin the favourite to the Budgie panel.

This survey is so unrandomly random it's almost funny.

Comment

What is the absolute amount of Steam users?
                Is this percentage over monthly active users or total users?

~1% of 20 millions users is 200k, around half of my city population in Linux gamers, that would be so cool to see together haha

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                  What is the absolute amount of Steam users?
                  Is this percentage over monthly active users or total users?

~1% of 20 millions users is 200k, around half of my city population in Linux gamers, that would be so cool to see together haha
                  It's a random sampling of users using a mechanism that isn't well documented but is known to only occur when you start steam and is noted for having a fairly high deviation, and trends that don't entirely make sense that seem to be biased towards new installations.

Comment

Why can't they just release a comprehensive tally of the active users for a month ?

Comment

Working...
                    X