No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.19 Has Better Wayland Support But Their Goal Is Not Yet Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.19 Has Better Wayland Support But Their Goal Is Not Yet Complete

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.19 Has Better Wayland Support But Their Goal Is Not Yet Complete

Shipping one week from today is KDE Plasma 5.19 and among many other improvements is also significantly enhancing its Wayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to hear. I assume KWin can benefit even more from the Wayland backend than GS, given the issues around latency etc. that motivated the kwin-lowlatency fork? Does anyone have some experience around that? And does somebody know how the official kwin currently compares to kwinft?

Comment

And once again saying "the road is still long" without putting a ballpark figure on it sounds like a big FU to the end user. Luckily for me, I'm not hung up on Wayland, I'll use when it's usable. But people that need to test it or people that absolutely need to have security built into their compositor protocol may not be as laid back.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        And once again saying "the road is still long" without putting a ballpark figure on it sounds like a big FU to the end user. Luckily for me, I'm not hung up on Wayland, I'll use when it's usable. But people that need to test it or people that absolutely need to have security built into their compositor protocol may not be as laid back.
        I think the best figure would be 2021 since Wayland support is one of the 3 goals set for the project by the community last year
        Lydia Pintscher, Eike Hein, Ivan Cukic and Neofytos Kolokotronis discuss the results of the past goals. The KDE Community has spoken! On the first day of Akademy 2019, Lydia Pintscher, President of KDE e.V., announced the three new goals we will prioritize over the next 2 years. The goals were selected by community vote from a dozen proposals, all created by community members. Read on to learn more details about each of the new goals.

Comment

Please fix the clipboard on Wayland already...

Comment

Would be interesting to know how the fork stands in comparison.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

I think the best figure would be 2021 since Wayland support is one of the 3 goals set for the project by the community last year
              https://dot.kde.org/2019/09/07/kde-d...tency-and-apps
              IF they manage to reach their goal, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

IF they manage to reach their goal, that is.
                Well, of course. Every goal set comes with a degree of uncertainty

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

https://dot.kde.org/2019/09/07/kde-d...tency-and-apps
                  My guestimate: 2024~2026

Comment

KDe developers are very late in wayland integration.

Comment

Working...
                    X