Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Number Of Intel/AMD x86 Updates Hit Linux 5.8

Phoronix: A Number Of Intel/AMD x86 Updates Hit Linux 5.8

A number of x86 (x86_64) pull requests have been sent in for the in-development Linux 5.8 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

a potentially stupid question...
    how does the size of the linux kernel affect performance of workloads? which ones? in what way? when? would it make sense to have a tool or profile that queries and enables only the options/features for your machine? maybe keep one generic kernel around as a fall back and if hardware changes...
    I tried to dabble with compiling the kernel myself a couple of years ago but the options were just too many in number and their effect unclear.
    ... and yes i believe it would be hell for bugtracking... (although maybe also a chance...) But is that the only reason..?

Comment

As a Linux DevOps engineer most of my colleagues would always recommend Thinkpad laptops.

But then you read that you need to wait for 5.8 to be able to get the freakin fans working correctly.

Then I notice most of those colleagues tend to use Debian Linux with some old gnome2/mate/xfce like Desktop experience.. the kind of people who prefer to edit ifcfg files instead of using network-manager.. on a kernel aging from WW2..

Fukk me right?

Good luck with them fans..
      Last edited by MastaG; 02 June 2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Support for finally being able to control dual fan ThinkPad laptops where as previously that ThinkPad driver code has only worked with single fan laptop models.
        FWIW, Monday's set of pulls also fixed fan detection on my Dell XPS 13 2-in-1:

Code:
        commit b8a13e5e8f37eeca28da8ce027df7ab7f4a79cb4
        Author: Thomas Hebb <[email protected]>
        Date: Sat Apr 4 16:49:00 2020 -0400

hwmon: (dell-smm) Use one DMI match for all XPS models

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

Then I notice most of those colleagues tend to use Debian Linux with some old gnome2/mate/xfce like Desktop experience.. the kind of people who prefer to edit ifcfg files instead of using network-manager.. on a kernel aging from WW2..
          Quoted For Truth

Comment

I might be nitpicking but does this part look a bit redundant?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            A number of x86 (x86_64) pull requests have been sent in for the in-development Linux 5.8kernel.

Here are the latest pull requests on the Intel/AMD x86 CPU front. The x86/cpu changes include:

Comment

Working...
            X