PHP 8.0 JIT Is Offering Very Compelling Performance Ahead Of Its Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 8.0 JIT Is Offering Very Compelling Performance Ahead Of Its Alpha

Phoronix: PHP 8.0 JIT Is Offering Very Compelling Performance Ahead Of Its Alpha

With the PHP 8.0 schedule putting the first alpha release for the middle of June, I've been trying out its latest Git state in recent days for looking at its performance as well as when enabling its brand new JIT (Just In Time) compiler support that is new to PHP8. The results are quite compelling and here are metrics going back to the days of PHP 5.4 for comparison.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see PHP getting some more performance work

Comment

And in another 15 years they will go for an ahead of time compiler... Even at 4x improvement, jitted php is nowhere near optimal perf.

Comment

Even at 4x improvement, jitted php is nowhere near optimal perf.
        Wow. I really love such dumb statements...

It's like in good old shit pile stackoverflow: Do this and that and it will be perfomaaaaanceeeee. (read it in a screaching monkey voice)

What is "optimal performance"?

(I know that trolling is on phoronix a standard, but I really _HATE_ such statements....)

Comment

I never had much trouble with PHP's performance, even back in the PHP 5.x days. This JIT work sounds quite impressive, though I have no use for it right now. Too many lawyers these days. You can't run a web server according to the ISP's Terms of Service, and even if you could, someone will sue you for saying the wrong thing in public.

Comment

Originally posted by IntrusionCM View Post

Wow. I really love such dumb statements...

It's like in good old shit pile stackoverflow: Do this and that and it will be perfomaaaaanceeeee. (read it in a screaching monkey voice)

What is "optimal performance"?

(I know that trolling is on phoronix a standard, but I really _HATE_ such statements....)
            Well, considering you don't know what optimal performance is, perhaps you are not a competent judge of which statement is dumb and which isn't.

Optimal performance is the least amount of computational resources possible to produce the desired result. You are welcome.

I suppose google engineers are also all a bunch of dumb screeching monkeys for striving to develop data structures and algorithms, aimed at squeezing every last percent of cpu time and ram utilization from their c++ code, little do they know they can just switch to jitted php and forget their petty concerns of optimal performance.

Comment

PHP was this go-to language for web developers, and its been around for a while, and for many web developers it was what they started with, and it have had this reputation as this ugly thing with warts, but I think PHP deserves a second look, it has really matured, it has shapen up, it has kept up with the times (despite being around for a long time), and it has evolved nicely.

I remember PHP in the days of PHP 5 like when classes were introduces, and there were no namespaces, no package manager, and PSR didn't exist. Now it has typed properties, typed arguments, and it seems much more robust.

Comment

I didn't think of PHP "as this ugly thing with warts." It was by far, way better than CGI scripts and ASP pages back in the days before PHP. And every time I looked in the user's manual, I was blown away by all the features and access to libraries that I wanted to use.

Comment

PHP has definitely matured a lot in terms of language features and performance. I remember having to work on Magento (popular PHP-based ecommerce platform) sites that were incredibly slow to run without multiple layers of caching. With PHP8+JIT it might be almost bearable now.

Still a long way short of the performance attainable by compiled languages but that's to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

Well, considering you don't know what optimal performance is, perhaps you are not a competent judge of which statement is dumb and which isn't.

Optimal performance is the least amount of computational resources possible to produce the desired result. You are welcome.

I suppose google engineers are also all a bunch of dumb screeching monkeys for striving to develop data structures and algorithms, aimed at squeezing every last percent of cpu time and ram utilization from their c++ code, little do they know they can just switch to jitted php and forget their petty concerns of optimal performance.
                    So why isn't everybody writing things in hand tuned assembler?

Software Dev time is expensive - do you throw 5k at a new box and ~double the performance or tie up programmer time?

at some point along that curve of spending programmer time you get to the point of diminishing returns where throwing $ at the problem to make it go away is the sensible thing to do.

Oh, and spending ever greater amounts of programmer time on making it go fast means you are not implementing new features.

At some point there is a balance, and that is different for every project.

If you can get a PHP dev at 80k/year and 3 servers @5k to solve your problem in 3 months or a C/C++ programmer @ 150k and 4 months to solve your problem on a single 5k server, which is the more optimal path?

Comment

Working...
                    X