Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNU Linux-Libre 5.7 Released - Drops Intel iGPU Security Fix Over Arrays Of Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-Libre 5.7 Released - Drops Intel iGPU Security Fix Over Arrays Of Numbers

Phoronix: GNU Linux-Libre 5.7 Released - Drops Intel iGPU Security Fix Over Arrays Of Numbers

The GNU Linux-libre 5.7-gnu kernel was released following last weekend's Linux 5.7 kernel release. But the info-gnu mailing list was slow and thus just hitting the wire today for the latest version of this sanitized version of the Linux kernel. One interesting change in GNU Linux-libre 5.7-gnu is dropping the Intel Gen7 "iGPU Leak" security mitigation over not liking the sources...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sometimes, the cure is worse than the disease.

Comment

Many people prefer older intel igpus, because it's only way to get blobless system. (I'm looking at you amd)

It's kinda annoying that intel doesn't want to port ivy and haswell to new driver, because "it can break things", but modifying the characteristics of older driver is ok.

I hope we'll get "clear" patch.

Comment

The source code they want is likely this patch.

Comment

It's not going to be reverted. linux-libre deliberately scrubs any microcode updates including those the manufacturers claim to be necessary to mitigate (speculative execution) vulnerabilities: https://trisquel.info/en/forum/quest...r-libre-linux/ .

Comment

The good thing is that no self-respecting linux-libre user would go to qq.com, taobao.com, or google.com as in Michael's 3rd graphic, so they are safe, nothing to see here. And those arrays of numbers are something, but they are not each of them a separate "compiled kernel" as per Michael's statement. Something wrong with his grammar there.

Comment

They look like shader kernels. You could probably look at the shader compiler in mesa to decode them.

Comment

Compute kernels. OK, makes sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by ShFil View Post
                  Many people prefer older intel igpus, because it's only way to get blobless system. (I'm looking at you amd)

It's kinda annoying that intel doesn't want to port ivy and haswell to new driver, because "it can break things", but modifying the characteristics of older driver is ok.

I hope we'll get "clear" patch.
                  Intel iGPUs do require firmware/blobs to unlock all their features.

Comment

Originally posted by ShFil View Post
                    AMD/Bridgman finally found a solution for this... next RDNA2 based gpus will have flash chip for firmware/shader cache/windows driver because today making a driver DVD is more expensive and most modern computer have no optical drive. and 8-16GB flash chip today is cheap this will only increase the price by just 2$
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                    X