Wine 5.10 Starts Work On A Unix Library For NTDLL, More WineD3D Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 5.10 Starts Work On A Unix Library For NTDLL, More WineD3D Vulkan

Phoronix: Wine 5.10 Starts Work On A Unix Library For NTDLL, More WineD3D Vulkan

Wine 5.10 is out as the latest bi-weekly development release of this open-source project for allowing Windows games and applications to run generally gracefully on Linux (and other) platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

can we have Vulkan support par default without patch

Comment

I feel like I am sitting next to a 2 way traffic jam.

Microsoft on one side furiously installing Linux in Windows....

and on the other side WINE expanding farther into Unix

I think my neck hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
        can we have Vulkan support par default without patch
        What patch? Vulkan works fine in Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          I feel like I am sitting next to a 2 way traffic jam.

Microsoft on one side furiously installing Linux in Windows....

and on the other side WINE expanding farther into Unix

I think my neck hurts.
          Linux (applications) in Windows work (s) near natively. Wine on the other hand ... will never be able to fully replace any version of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Linux (applications) in Windows work (s) near natively. Wine on the other hand ... will never be able to fully replace any version of Windows.
            I believe that you're right as is about Wine. But if they had say 10,000 people working on it then I believe that they could actually make it work as well or better.

Most of it really comes down to throwing more people at it. So yes, could definitely be never.
            Last edited by ix900; 05 June 2020, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I wanted to ask something, but then I saw author.

Comment

Not quite correct birdie.

WSL 1 is the closest thing to reverse Wine on Windows and it's very far from being able to run all Linux applications due to unimplemented system calls and the fast changing nature of the Linux kernel and userland. This is probably why Microsoft has more or less deprecated it and decided to use an actual Linux kernel in a Hyper-V virtual machine with WSL 2 instead.

Wine is Linux's WSL 1 per say but you can say this is Linux's WSL 2:

Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 05 June 2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

Not quite correct birdie.

WSL 1 is the closest thing to reverse Wine on Windows and it's very far from being able to run all Linux applications due to unimplemented system calls and the fast changing nature of the Linux kernel and userland. This is probably why Microsoft has more or less deprecated it and decided to use an actual Linux kernel in a Hyper-V virtual machine with WSL 2 instead.

Wine is Linux's WSL 1 per say but you can say this is Linux's WSL 2:

What I am more surprised about is the fact you could manage to overlay a Linux window on top of a Windows one with full decorations.

Comment

...becuase WSL2 is a virtual machine now.

Comment

Working...
                    X