Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.8-rc1 Arrives As One Of The Biggest Releases Of All Time

Phoronix: Linux 5.8-rc1 Arrives As One Of The Biggest Releases Of All Time

Linus Torvalds just released the Linux 5.8-rc1 test build as what he describes as one of the biggest releases of all time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yikes! I just tried 5.8-rc1 and dmesg began outputting an endless stream of errors with register dumps. All I saw was that it had to do with ext4 and threads so I immediately rebooted and ran disk and system checks, and thankfully everything looks fine.

The problem is that now I can't find any logs of the errors, but it may be because I rebooted a few times and they were erased. In any case, be forewarned. At least for me there was a major ext4 problem. And I can't afford to risk my system by running 5.8 again to find out what they were.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      Yikes! I just tried 5.8-rc1 and dmesg began outputting an endless stream of errors with register dumps. All I saw was that it had to do with ext4 and threads so I immediately rebooted and ran disk and system checks, and thankfully everything looks fine.
      The fix for that is in the second round of ext4 updates. They were posted before rc1, but Linus hasn't pulled it yet.

You can get the fix by applying this commit.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
        And I can't afford to risk my system by running 5.8 again to find out what they were.
        That´s why you should never use alpha/beta/release candidate software on critical or production systems. And certainly not kernels and filesystems.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

The fix for that is in the second round of ext4 updates. They were posted before rc1, but Linus hasn't pulled it yet.

You can get the fix by applying this commit.
          Awesome! Thanks so much for the information. I used the patch and all is well

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post

That´s why you should never use alpha/beta/release candidate software on critical or production systems. And certainly not kernels and filesystems.
            Oh, that's no problem. I back up my OS before beta installations, and all my data is backed up every 15 minutes. I just didn't want to try 5.8 again until a solution was known because I'd rather not restore everything unless I had to. I enjoy trying new kernels though, and helping with bugs from time to time, but know that every once in awhile a beta kernel is going to bite you

In fact I'm going to make sure the maintainer for the Arch linux-mainline package knows about this. I actually compiled 5.8 before the official package was out, so hopefully my experience will help others avoid potential problems.

Comment

You're a brave man, Muncrief.

Comment

Mentioning Linus AMD purchase in this context....does this mean, Kernel Release Size was bottlenecked by his lame Intel rig before?

Comment

One day in the future, the kernel will take less than 10 seconds to compile with power consumption at less than 95 watts. One day we can have a very efficient processor at a nice price premium of $750 or less.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                    One day in the future, the kernel will take less than 10 seconds to compile with power consumption at less than 95 watts. One day we can have a very efficient processor at a nice price premium of $750 or less.
                    In case you haven't noticed, they keep adding more optimizations and passes to the compiler simply because there's room for some extra processing thanks to improvements in hardware. If you want to compile fast, just use some minimal C compiler. C is also a horrible language when it comes to parsing and incremental compilation.
                    Last edited by caligula; 15 June 2020, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X