Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 11.4 Released With Various Hardware Support Improvements, Tooling Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 11.4 Released With Various Hardware Support Improvements, Tooling Enhancements

Phoronix: FreeBSD 11.4 Released With Various Hardware Support Improvements, Tooling Enhancements

For those not on the current FreeBSD 12 stable series but currently relying on FreeBSD 11, the FreeBSD 11.4 stable release is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excited about 12.2 and 13.0. Really hoping the Samsung ExFAT support in recent Linux kernels can be ported to FreeBSD because the current FUSE driver leaves much to be desired. I strongly doubt we will see 13.0 release in 2020, probably mid 2021 if I was guessing- it doesn't even have a release schedule on the release engineering page yet.

Comment

Hi all!,

I was waiting this release for building a new personal server but I guess it's better go with 12.1 because 11.4 is the last one of the 11 tree.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        Excited about 12.2 and 13.0. Really hoping the Samsung ExFAT support in recent Linux kernels can be ported to FreeBSD because the current FUSE driver leaves much to be desired. I strongly doubt we will see 13.0 release in 2020, probably mid 2021 if I was guessing- it doesn't even have a release schedule on the release engineering page yet.
        Can it be ported though? On Linux:
        Code:
        $ modinfo exfat

alias: fs-exfat
        description: exFAT Filesystem Driver
        [B]license: GPL[/B]
        srcversion: 4195F4283C06E0B394A7300
        [...]
        So unless they obtained a dual licence it sounds like it's not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Can it be ported though? On Linux:
          Code:
          $ modinfo exfat

alias: fs-exfat
          description: exFAT Filesystem Driver
          [B]license: GPL[/B]
          srcversion: 4195F4283C06E0B394A7300
          [...]
          So unless they obtained a dual licence it sounds like it's not possible.
          As long as it lives in ports and not in base, it doesn't matter what license it has.

Comment

But he is still very poor. In my latest Lenovo notebook, the screen backlight cannot be adjusted, the wireless network card does not support, the trackpad cannot be recognized, and the nvidia graphics card cannot run. I will still run freebsd in my virtualbox and only use archlinux on the physical machine

Comment

Originally posted by kindu smith View Post
              But he is still very poor. In my latest Lenovo notebook, the screen backlight cannot be adjusted, the wireless network card does not support, the trackpad cannot be recognized, and the nvidia graphics card cannot run. I will still run freebsd in my virtualbox and only use archlinux on the physical machine
              Which notebook do you have? I have FreeBSD running on two different thinkpads, and everything you listed works perfectly fine.

1) I've been running FreeBSD for a few years now on my Lenovo X1 Carbon (Gen1); originally it was 11.1 and now on 12.1. Never had an issue with backlight, wifi and trackpad.
              2) Also running 12.1 on a T530 with Nvidia NVS5400 (old fermi) and that works really well with the Nvidia binaries 390.132 version.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchi View Post

Which notebook do you have? I have FreeBSD running on two different thinkpads, and everything you listed works perfectly fine.

1) I've been running FreeBSD for a few years now on my Lenovo X1 Carbon (Gen1); originally it was 11.1 and now on 12.1. Never had an issue with backlight, wifi and trackpad.
                2) Also running 12.1 on a T530 with Nvidia NVS5400 (old fermi) and that works really well with the Nvidia binaries 390.132 version.
                In fact, FreeBSD has even been demo'd on the latest Microsoft Surface (Book?), which is on par with (spec-wise), but less open than Lenovo's hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by kindu smith View Post
                  WOW. Thinkpad support is supposed to be the best support for FreeBSD and OpenBSD. Pretty much all Intel Wireless NICs are supported at n speed just not ac or ax speed. I've ran Nvidia driver on my workstation card with no problem in 12.1 and 12.0.

Comment

Remember that Lenovo makes laptops that are not thinkpads.
                    Last edited by dnebdal; 19 June 2020, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X