Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A NVIDIA Engineer In His Spare Time Wrote A Vulkan Driver That Works On Older Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A NVIDIA Engineer In His Spare Time Wrote A Vulkan Driver That Works On Older Raspberry Pi

Phoronix: A NVIDIA Engineer In His Spare Time Wrote A Vulkan Driver That Works On Older Raspberry Pi

The Raspberry Pi 1 through Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ and even the Raspberry Pi Zero can now see Vulkan support via a new unofficial "RPi-VK-Driver" that is offering even better performance than the Broadcom OpenGL driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That is really cool.

I remember running standard Quake III on my Pi 3 and it was ~20 FPS. This looks to make a big difference!
    I know there is a large amount of people on i.e the raspbian forums wanting to get Quake III running faster and this should solve that

Comment

Now it is time to push emulators to use this vulkan driver for better performance.

Comment

Well done Martin Thomas !

We need more people like you.

Comment

Wow, good job man.

Comment

How about some benchmarks, Michael ?

Comment

how do you attach a pci-e GPU to a pi (or other boards maybe?

Comment

Amazing! It also shows that there are some briliant software engieers at nVidia who are handicapped in what they can do.

Searching for UNSUPPORTED in the git repository, there are not too many instances. I wonder if software implementations can be provided for these and then we can move on to the next step for Vulkan domination.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                  how do you attach a pci-e GPU to a pi (or other boards maybe?

Comment

So I think it's 720p resolution. Right?

Comment

Working...
                    X