Open-Source NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2000 "Turing" 3D Driver Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2000 "Turing" 3D Driver Performance

Phoronix: Open-Source NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2000 "Turing" 3D Driver Performance

Going back to the end of 2018 was initial open-source "Nouveau" driver work on RTX 2000 / Turing GPUs as of Linux 5.0. But due to the lack of signed firmware images at the time, there was no actual hardware acceleration but just display/modesetting. The accelerated Turing support has come together recent so now here are benchmarks showing the open-source GeForce RTX 2060 and RTX 2080 performance of this open-source driver compared to the proprietary official driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael what was the issue with Tomb Raider? Didn't test it on Turing yet, but normally that should run fine with Nouveau? Well.. will install and see anyway Thanks for running those benchmarks though!

Comment

I also pushed a few fixes over the weekend, so maybe that issue got already resolved.

Comment

I do feel for the Nouveau devs. The re-clocking issue is a very long standing severe blow to their open source efforts. It is impressive that they have made it this far though, kudos to the team. I will continue to run the proprietary driver though as these days it offers awesome performance and is really no harder to setup on Linux than any other system (i.e. Windows)... and is even better supported than OS X

Comment

I'm surprised how the nouveau team is preserving their motivation. It must be really difficult to be developer of opensource drivers with the attitude of nvidia. you really must be an opensource believer to keep it going. Thank you for your efforts.

Comment

Actually, even not having nouveau at all would be preferable. With that broken mess you often don't even have UI at all, while with the fallback VESA cr@p at least you have that. In like 800x600, but it does work. Notebooks with the 1050 Ti are notorious for not having any UI right after install, you always have to boot with nomodeset, then install the NV driver, and reboot again. Who ever uses nouveau intentionally? It's so slow, even for basic 2D rendering. It's unbearable. Like dragging a window from one point to the other takes 10 seconds.

Comment

One thing is clear:
              You can't be a fan of both open source and Nvidia, it's one or another.
              I'm glad that AMD don't forces you to lose your integrity over privacy and security of open source.
              So, congratulations and many thanks to Nouveau developers, but you should know that when you will finally give up on Nvidia, everything will be ok and we will understand it.
              Many of users gave up on it years ago and that's it.
              Some things can be changed while other can't, like shitty companies where money is their only goal, not caring about the users even a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                Actually, even not having nouveau at all would be preferable. With that broken mess you often don't even have UI at all, while with the fallback VESA cr@p at least you have that. In like 800x600, but it does work. Notebooks with the 1050 Ti are notorious for not having any UI right after install, you always have to boot with nomodeset, then install the NV driver, and reboot again. Who ever uses nouveau intentionally? It's so slow, even for basic 2D rendering. It's unbearable. Like dragging a window from one point to the other takes 10 seconds.
                that issue got already fixed....

Comment

lol. was there a purpose for these benchmarks? its not like opensource driver for nvida had any improvements for re-clocking since.........well, a long time

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                    I'm surprised how the nouveau team is preserving their motivation. It must be really difficult to be developer of opensource drivers with the attitude of nvidia. you really must be an opensource believer to keep it going. Thank you for your efforts.
                    Amusing theatrics, but not everyone uses their laptop and PC for 3D graphics even when they have an Nvidia GPU inside. The Open Source driver is still very much needed and is far from being a sad, lost cause.

Better you play the violin for Nvidia's legal team. That's where the real drama must be happening. Those guys are having a tough time coming out of the closet and could use a tissue or two.

Comment

Working...
                    X