Apple Confirms Their Future Desktops + Laptops Will Use In-House CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Confirms Their Future Desktops + Laptops Will Use In-House CPUs

Phoronix: Apple Confirms Their Future Desktops + Laptops Will Use In-House CPUs

Apple finally confirmed the log-running rumor that their future laptops and desktop computers will be using in-house silicon with their custom designed Arm-based chips...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"With the translation technology of Rosetta 2, users will be able to run existing Mac apps that have not yet been updated, including those with plug-ins. Virtualization technology allows users to run Linux."
    I'm putting on my skeptical glasses until I see trustworthy benchmarks so I know if they're working with frames per second or seconds per frame.

I also feel sorry for Michael in the near future. Having to benchmark Linux, the Windows Linux Layer, and possibly an Apple Linux Layer.

Comment

Sounds like the beginning of eco-computing movement,... Anyway, if big.LITTLE ThinkPad, or ProBook/EliteBook, was released, I would be very much eager to get it.

Comment

I like the idea. Once different architectures truly propagate into the market, this might even wake the world up to realise that virtualization isn't necessarily the solution to digital preservation and maintaining software.

People might start reducing superfluous features and dependencies to help improve true portability.

Whilst an "Apple CPU" is hardly ideal or trustworthy... at least it is a change from Wintel.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'm putting on my skeptical glasses until I see trustworthy benchmarks so I know if they're working with frames per second or seconds per frame.

I also feel sorry for Michael in the near future. Having to benchmark Linux, the Windows Linux Layer, and possibly an Apple Linux Layer.
          Guessing the performance should be good... This is probably the reason why Apple offered to pay me two years ago for a non-GPL version of PTS (but ultimately they did some other licensing workaround or something instead).
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            I like the idea. Once different architectures truly propagate into the market, this might even wake the world up to realise that virtualization isn't necessarily the solution to digital preservation and maintaining software.

People might start reducing superfluous features and dependencies to help improve true portability.

Whilst an "Apple CPU" is hardly ideal or trustworthy... at least it is a change from Wintel.
            Yeah. Up until now it's basically been Pi-like dev tinker boxes and crappy Windows RT machines for the home consumer market. Neither Apple nor ARM are what I'd pick, but someone going with Not-Windows and Not-X86_64 for a Consumer Desktop PC has me anxious about the possibilities; especially since Apple has a serious customer base and market as well as dump trucks full of money to pay talent.

Comment

Apple finally confirmed the log-running rumor that their future laptops and desktop computers will be using in-house silicon with their custom designed Arm-based chips.
              Typo or my limited understanding of a "log-running rumor." Is that like a log that spits out rumors all day long, like fortune, but less subtle?

Comment

Moving from vendor lock-in to ultimate vendor lock-in. Are their binaries getting fatter or will they split them?

Comment

So even developers that used an Apple notebook for their work are now in the Apple jail Anyway, I do wonder what happens to all the Steam games for MacOS...

Comment

A potentially unpopular opinion: Apple's ARM implementation is the only ARM worth using in a high performance context (like, a desktop). Standard ARM implementations (where you get the whole design from ARM, and you just tweak it), are pretty bad when it comes to IPC (instructions per cycle). This includes for instance RPi4.

Modern Intel/AMD cpus maintain much higher instructions per cycle throughputs (like 3x) versus standard ARMs.

Comment

Working...
                    X