Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Areas KDE Can Use Help Right Now In Porting For Plasma 6.0

Phoronix: Two Areas KDE Can Use Help Right Now In Porting For Plasma 6.0

Longtime KDE developer David Edmundson has issued a call for help in porting work for Plasma 6.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am already afraid by all the breakage & functionality loss Plasma 6 will bring.
    I can't help but to think KDE lacks capable core developers - Plasma 5 is still full of small glitches and problems, and bug reports sometimes stay open for a long long time. On the other side the lets-rewrite-the-whole-thing-again group seems to strike again.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      New and shiny stuff instead of fixing Plasma5 and Freeing Qt5..
      Feel free to rewrite Qt. No one is stopping you.

The rest of us aren't going to complain that they want to modernize and unify the way their backends work or want to provide a consistent user experience and interfaces in their control panel. Also, since a lot of people like to complain about how difficult Plasma is to configure, them working on the UX can be seen as both shiny and new as well as fixing bugs.

Comment

Plasma 6 should be Wayland-only.

Comment

I so hate QML... Anything done in QML is instantly recognizable in the desktop. Be it round corners instead of square, or a complete different functionality of lists. Not to mention that QML loading takes time... I mean, KMail is started and usable before the plasma desktop is done loading all its stuff. I might be considered cheating because I use a system-wide DB instance, but still.
          Plus its IMO a PITA to use and interface with C++. As much as I love Qt, I hate QML.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
            Plasma 6 should be Wayland-only.
            Ideally/in a perfect world, I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
              I am already afraid by all the breakage & functionality loss Plasma 6 will bring.
              I can't help but to think KDE lacks capable core developers - Plasma 5 is still full of small glitches and problems, and bug reports sometimes stay open for a long long time. On the other side the lets-rewrite-the-whole-thing-again group seems to strike again.
              In the KDE devs defense, the last time I randomly browsed their bug tracker I saw a decent amount of bugs where a person posts a bug and never followed up when devs tried to contact them with questions like "did 5.12 fix your issue?". Fedora has so many bugs like that that they're considering just dropping them.

A bunch of open bug reports doesn't necessarily mean a bunch of bugs when you have cases like KDE and Fedora where the bug reporter doesn't follow the process to get the bug closed.

Comment

skeevy420 KDE on Fedora is the biggest joke ever. The SIG is not even trying.
                I wasn't talking about KDE on Fedora. They're just two examples since both of their trackers have plenty of unfollowed-through bug reports; some where the bug was fixed but the person who reported the bug never confirmed it was fixed for them so the bug stayed open which is why Fedora is considering just dropping the bug if the submitter doesn't respond after a while (I don't remember the exact details of their plan).

Comment

Meanwhile Gnome should have put out a call for help in designing a useable desktop ten years ago.

Comment

New and shiny stuff instead of fixing Plasma5 and Freeing Qt5..
                    ^ whining... again. ^

Comment

Working...
                    X