There's A Proposal To Switch Fedora 33 On The Desktop To Using Btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's A Proposal To Switch Fedora 33 On The Desktop To Using Btrfs

Phoronix: There's A Proposal To Switch Fedora 33 On The Desktop To Using Btrfs

More than a decade ago Fedora was routinely trying to pursue the Btrfs file-system by default but those hopes were abandoned long ago. Heck, Red Hat Enterprise Linux no longer even supports Btrfs. While all Red Hat / Fedora interests in Btrfs seemed abandoned years ago especially with Red Hat developing their Stratis storage technology, there is a new (and serious) proposal about moving to Btrfs for Fedora 33 desktop variants...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great job Fedora! The Standard Filesystem just became the default one.

Comment

I've been using BTRFS for over a decade. Chromebooks - consumer devices - use BTRFS. It about time Fedora joined in as a "leading edge" distribution.

Comment

Dew it

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          There is a new proposal to use Btrfs as the default file-system for desktop vairants starting with Fedora 33.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
            I've been using BTRFS for over a decade.
            Ditto. Have it mounted on eight drives in my house right now.

Comment

Better idea is to figure out what the most common hardware used for Fedora installations and adjust the defaults for file system, editors, etc etc to that type of installation, while still keeping security sensitive knobs set to secure and practical defaults. That's never going to happen because people prefer ideology to surveyed facts. It would require collecting installation time hardware surveys much like Steam and Ubuntu do that the tinfoil hat brigade keep very vocally criticizing the practice as if the sky is falling.

Comment

Does this mean that stratis is dead before it really got started?

Comment

Is there any point on using it on desktop? Performance? No. Stability? I doubt.

Comment

looking at this article this decision makes no sense to me for desktops. i can understand to use it for servers due to some features of Btrfs. i thought that Btrfs still has many issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X