In 2020 The Linux Kernel Is Still Seeing Driver Work For The Macintosh II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In 2020 The Linux Kernel Is Still Seeing Driver Work For The Macintosh II

Phoronix: In 2020 The Linux Kernel Is Still Seeing Driver Work For The Macintosh II

The Linux kernel is seeing some modern work done to its driver for supporting the Apple Desktop Bus on Macintosh II era systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait! Linux 5.9 on a Macintosh II?! That's literally 33 years of compatibility o-o

Comment

I want benchmark numbers for this machine.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Wait! Linux 5.9 on a Macintosh II?! That's literally 33 years of compatibility o-o
        If only Userspace wouldnt kill itself every 3 years

Comment

Dang, just 15 years ago I threw out some systems with ADB, if only I had held on to them for a bit longer.

Comment

Does this mean I can plug my old Apple keyboard into my PS2 port?

Comment

I just might have something that can run this.

Edit:
              Yep, I have a IIcx. That should be able to run it. I'd probably need to find a lot of adapters for displays and such, but I've got plenty of hard drives, etc.
              Last edited by willmore; 28 June 2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

A IIcx probably has dead or dying capacitors by now, those machines are known to have issues with motherboard capacitors. I have a IIci that's waiting for a recap (waaaay down on the priority list).

Also ADB was used on many more machines after the 68K Macs. I think all of the beige Power Mac machines used it, from the first PPC601 machines up through the G3. Looks like the Blue&White G3 still had an ADB port on the motherboard, so almost all Macs through 1999 had ADB ports.

Comment

Originally posted by jamdox View Post
                  Does this mean I can plug my old Apple keyboard into my PS2 port?
                  Absolutely not. But you can get ADB to USB adapters.

Comment

Originally posted by strtj View Post
                    A IIcx probably has dead or dying capacitors by now, those machines are known to have issues with motherboard capacitors. I have a IIci that's waiting for a recap (waaaay down on the priority list).

Also ADB was used on many more machines after the 68K Macs. I think all of the beige Power Mac machines used it, from the first PPC601 machines up through the G3. Looks like the Blue&White G3 still had an ADB port on the motherboard, so almost all Macs through 1999 had ADB ports.
                    Well after 30 years the (electrolytic)capcitors are allowed to fail. Up to now it is mostly the thing which fails first on any electronic product. Electrolytic caps especially the older gens tend to be leaky even if sealed properly. Newer gens Caps on PCB's use solid polymers or hybrid instead of just wet - thus will last longer. But they (sanyo oscon) become popular around 1990? so quite a bit later.

Comment

Working...
                    X