BeOS-Inspired Haiku Working On Supporting Modern CPU Features Like AVX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeOS-Inspired Haiku Working On Supporting Modern CPU Features Like AVX

Phoronix: BeOS-Inspired Haiku Working On Supporting Modern CPU Features Like AVX

The open-source Haiku operating system that continues maintaining compatibility with BeOS and inspiration from its design has continued in its quest of better supporting modern hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the update. Haiku is progressing well these days

Comment

Haiku lacks so little to be usable, on a secondary, maybe older machine.
      I think this could be a nice system for older laptops, but power management aside, no proper GPU support also makes it problematic. I hope it will soon get there

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
        I think this could be a nice system for older laptops, but power management aside, no proper GPU support also makes it problematic. I hope it will soon get there
        Nobody has stepped up to do the work... and until that happens, well it wont' happen unfortunately. Lots of interest though, people are willing to throw money at it myself included.

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
          It could be a fun and interesting os for RPis (particularly the weaker ones) if only it had 1st class ARM support.

Comment

In trying to find out the download size / install size (485 MB zip / ≈ 1000 MB, before 'user-additions'), I stumbled across DistroWatch's "Reader Supplied Reviews" for Haiku, which is a real 'eye-opener'. It's instructive and very informative to take a look; and remember that these are reviews of the R1 and R2 Beta versions. Very common are observations such as "...blazing fast...", "...visually stunning...", "...unbelievable on my old Intel Atom netbook...", "...great performance on my 10-year-old laptop...".

I think I'll send them some money. This is a very small, struggling group with a dynamite product, and very dedicated. They deserve our support.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

It could be a fun and interesting os for RPis (particularly the weaker ones) if only it had 1st class ARM support.
              Perhaps... but also a complete waste of time. The problem with ARM is that is a massive time sink since there is no standard architecture, its a major annoyance even to Linux, which has a massive amount of developers on hand, while on the other hand x86 and PPC have standardized architectures allowing generic support of pretty much all boards, something which is supported as an illusion on Linux for ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Perhaps... but also a complete waste of time. The problem with ARM is that is a massive time sink since there is no standard architecture, its a major annoyance even to Linux, which has a massive amount of developers on hand, while on the other hand x86 and PPC have standardized architectures allowing generic support of pretty much all boards, something which is supported as an illusion on Linux for ARM.
                AFAIK that problem concerns basically the boot loader and the 1st stage boot phase of the kernel. Everything else is standardised (except for device drivers of course).
                PPC or rather POWER today is a great option for whoever wants a fully trustworthy, user-controllable system but I don't think it makes much sense to run Haiku on it.

Comment

90's Workstation OSes were a great balance of flexibility, robustness, speed and simplicity.

Today's OSes are so damn complicated, even if Microsoft put all of Windows 10 under an MIT or LGPL License, it might as well be a Blackbox because software is so complicated these days. I hate how in order to make a damn blog, you'll need at least 60 million lines of code infrastructure just to serve and read a blog that says "hello world".
                  Last edited by commodore256; 29 June 2020, 08:55 AM.

Comment

At a certain point Haiku will be the only viable alternative to Linux...

Comment

Working...
                    X