No announcement yet.

Fedora Looking To Offer Better Upstream Solution For Hiding/Showing GRUB Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Looking To Offer Better Upstream Solution For Hiding/Showing GRUB Menu

Phoronix: Fedora Looking To Offer Better Upstream Solution For Hiding/Showing GRUB Menu

Fedora for the past few releases doesn't show the GRUB boot-loader menu by default when only Fedora is installed on the system as there is little purpose for most users and it just interrupts the boot flow. But for those wanting to access the GRUB bootloader menu on reboot, they offer integration in GNOME to easily reboot into this menu. The other exception is the menu will be shown if the previous boot failed. This functionality has relied on downstream patches but now they are working towards a better upstream solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why Fedora still using grub? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
      What should they use according to you? I haven't followed the bootloader development, so I don't know the alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
        AFAIK there is no other better bootloader on the market

Comment

im sure this was supposed to of gotten done that has something to do with this Feature https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ImprovedGrubMenu , never got done , so what are the chances this feature will get done they mention?

Comment

Grub2 development has long turned into something ugly and broken. No bug tracker to speak of, every distro applies tons of patches, releases are rare as hell, documentation is absolutely horrible (way worse than for Grub1), grub.cfg is a hell to configure manually.

I for one would like ReFind to replace Grub. It's so much better.

Comment

Restart to boot menu was available since Windows 8 (Released in 2012).
              Too late.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Grub2 development has long turned into something ugly and broken. No bug tracker to speak of, every distro applies tons of patches, releases are rare as hell, documentation is absolutely horrible (way worse than for Grub1), grub.cfg is a hell to configure manually.

I for one would like ReFind to replace Grub. It's so much better.
                what are the advantages of ReFind over Grub2 ? ,please list them https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/features.html

Last edited by Anvil; 30 June 2020, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

what are the advantages of ReFind over Grub2 ? ,please list them https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/features.html

Comment

Originally posted by AnAccount View Post
                    What should they use according to you? I haven't followed the bootloader development, so I don't know the alternatives.
                    The best alternative is systemd-boot. Everything else is junk.

Comment

Working...
                    X