Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Graphics Driver Fixes Include Assembly Sources To Satisfy GNU Linux-Libre Folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Graphics Driver Fixes Include Assembly Sources To Satisfy GNU Linux-Libre Folks

Phoronix: Intel Graphics Driver Fixes Include Assembly Sources To Satisfy GNU Linux-Libre Folks

Last month you may recall that the free software purists maintaining the GNU Linux-Libre kernel dropped the Intel "iGPU Leak" security fix for Ivybridge / Haswell as they considered the compiled shaders/kernels responsible for clearing those residual contexts to be binary blobs. A resolution is now pending for upstream...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, I never thought I'd see a company as large as intel supporting libre software to this degree.

Comment

Well, having the source is a very good news, especially for something security related, that now could eventually be properly audited.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
        Well, having the source is a very good news, especially for something security related, that now could eventually be properly audited.
        The source has always been available via IGT, just not in the kernel repo.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Nevertheless, having the source where it belongs, in the kernel tree where its binary is, is still very good news.
          Of course having the source is more important than where one has it, but having to track a different repository
          is worse than not having to do it. It's better to have all the sources in one tree, and not create precedents than
          complicate things.

There's still the problem of the build dependency with IGT ans the Mesa sources, it's free but it is one more dependency anyway.
          But I suppose if they've used it it's because there was no other easy way, so be it.

Out of curiosity, do you know whether IGT creates reproducible builds ?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Typo:

All along the the source code

Comment

... that somebody did not bother to reverse-engineer the publicly posted Intel code (stream of numbers) just to see what it actually looks like in readable letters.

Perhaps the GNU-libre folks have more important things to do like posing and posturing about "No Binary Blobs" rather than doing some serious in-depth looking at some code a trying to figure out what it says and means. I doubt that Intel would have smacked them with a DMCA complaint about reverse-engineering code that is openly published.

I think any hacker that was-is curious about this stuff would actually take the time to carefully examine what Intel posted. The hacker might learn something, or might find a bug and tell Intel about it.

Comment

Working...
              X