Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS / EXT4 / Btrfs / F2FS / NILFS2 Performance On Linux 5.8

Phoronix: XFS / EXT4 / Btrfs / F2FS / NILFS2 Performance On Linux 5.8

Given the reignited discussions this week over Btrfs file-system performance stemming from a proposal to switch Fedora on the desktop to using Btrfs, here are some fresh benchmarks of not only Btrfs but alongside XFS, EXT4, F2FS, and for kicks NILFS2 was also tossed into the mix for these mainline file-system tests off the in-development Linux 5.8 kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ext4 is one of the worst file system based on this test.

Comment

regression/bug in ext4 ???

Comment

I don't use NILFS2 for performance, but for its unparalleled snapshotting capabilities. It is also reasonably SSD friendly. But I fully appreciate that my use-case is not mainstream, and I make no bold claims that NILFS2 is the 'one true filesystem - I just find it useful for my purposes. I continue to be very happy to have a choice of filesystems, and grateful that people develop them to meet specific needs. People who need better performance than I do will obviously make a different choice, and that is good.

Thank you to Michael for giving people the interesting comparisons.

Comment

Where's FAT32, UDF, exFAT, NTFS etc. This is only half the widely used file systems. Linux supports them all.

Comment

I'm assuming these were done with a Fedora install? If that's the case, I would have to wonder what's wrong with EXT4 on Fedora.

Comment

I'm glad to see btrfs doing better than ext4, too bad it's still so far behind the rest :/

Although it's far from stable, it'd be interesting to see how bcachefs would fare there.
              Also what was the elevator used? I wonder if that has a different impact depending on the FS.

Comment

btfs improve and some big new problems with ext4

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  I'm assuming these were done with a Fedora install? If that's the case, I would have to wonder what's wrong with EXT4 on Fedora.
                  Ubuntu 20.04, as stated in the build table. But I agree something’s up with Ext4, perceptually I’ve never seen it behave like these graphs report.

Cheers,
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Where's FAT32, UDF, exFAT, NTFS etc. This is only half the widely used file systems. Linux supports them all.
                    Nobody would use those for the filesystem of "/" on their install though, which was the whole point of this comparison.

"stemming from a proposal to switch Fedora on the desktop to using Btrfs"

Comment

Working...
                    X