Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Working On A VKD3D Fork For Getting Direct3D 12 Advanced For Proton / Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Working On A VKD3D Fork For Getting Direct3D 12 Advanced For Proton / Steam Play

Phoronix: Valve Working On A VKD3D Fork For Getting Direct3D 12 Advanced For Proton / Steam Play

While upstream Wine developers continue working on VKD3D for providing a Direct3D 12 to Vulkan translation layer for Wine, a developer on Valve's Proton team has now forked it as Proton-VKD3D for focusing their efforts on getting the D3D12 support moved along for Proton that powers Steam Play...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It remains to be seen how much performance hit D3D12 games will have. D3D11 to Vulkan was a translation from a higher level API to a lower level one, this time both APIs are relatively the same level.

Comment

i hope to see this somehow in working state before cyberpunk 2077

Comment

Great to see Valve remains committed to Linux.
        Hopefully the Wine team can get something from this too, even if their goals differ.

Comment

I already know I'm gonna get boooooed out of the god damn forum for saying this... but with Philip and Joshua now leading VKD3D development, one can only wonder if this will merge with DXVK.

Comment

CP2077 will feature RTX stuff like DLSS, it will be interesting to see if somehow those can be supported also. DLSS would certainly help as it increases performance quite a bit at little image cost.

I really don't know the state of RTX features under Vulkan, or if NVIDIA even support them under anything outside of DirectX/DXR

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              It remains to be seen how much performance hit D3D12 games will have. D3D11 to Vulkan was a translation from a higher level API to a lower level one, this time both APIs are relatively the same level.
              If anything, I think that will allow for a closer mapping when it comes to graphics calls. It's a bigger opportunity for a good translation layer given workloads that aren't already CPU bound.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                I really don't know the state of RTX features under Vulkan, or if NVIDIA even support them under anything outside of DirectX/DXR
                Ray Tracing is still MIA so you know. Its one of those things that takes a while so there's still yet to be a way to do it through Wine/Proton.

Even at some possible image cost, DLSS also can improve the image as well. I noticed this in a game recently maxed out the graphics and it was DLSS that removed shimmer. Its a nice extra possibility.

Comment

I thought Vulkan fully supports ray tracing atm? or was that only a couple extensions that are part of the picture?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    I thought Vulkan fully supports ray tracing atm?
                    Vulkan does, but that's different to VKD3D (or similar) being able to convert Dx12/Nvidia raytracing into something Vulkan can do.

Comment

Working...
                    X