Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9 To Support 6GHz WiFi With Qualcomm's Ath11k Driver

Phoronix: Linux 5.9 To Support 6GHz WiFi With Qualcomm's Ath11k Driver

The initial batch of WiFi/wireless driver improvements slated for Linux 5.9 landed in net-next this week with a few noteworthy additions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What are the advantages over 5GHz, except the theoretical bandwidth capacity increase? I just feel like this is one of those metrics that don't get better with increasing their values...

Comment

Does Linux support WiFi-6 ?

Comment

Originally posted by smirky View Post
        What are the advantages over 5GHz, except the theoretical bandwidth capacity increase? I just feel like this is one of those metrics that don't get better with increasing their values...
        It's just more bandwidth available for use. As far as I know the device operation doesn't change apart from the frequency used.

Originally posted by Setif View Post
        Wi-Fi 6 is 802.11ax and that has been supported for quite some time in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
          Only for a select few Intel and Qualcomm Atheros chipsets.

Comment

The world talks up WiFi 6 while at home I'm still using 802.11g. orz

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              The world talks up WiFi 6 while at home I'm still using 802.11g. orz
              still enough for your 486 I guess ;P

Comment

Originally posted by smirky View Post
                In an ideal world, 6GHz really ought to be reserved for WiDi, in particular, for VR headsets. With a high-bandwidth point-to-point connection, you could have a great wireless VR experience. It doesn't matter how much the signal gets lost through walls because you're expected to remain in the same room while playing with VR anyway. By reserving the 6GHz range to WiDi, you would get substantially less interference from other network connections too, which would make the experience even better.

Otherwise, I think these higher frequencies are rather pointless, especially considering how few devices support them.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  In an ideal world, 6GHz really ought to be reserved for WiDi, in particular, for VR headsets. With a high-bandwidth point-to-point connection, you could have a great wireless VR experience. It doesn't matter how much the signal gets lost through walls because you're expected to remain in the same room while playing with VR anyway. By reserving the 6GHz range to WiDi, you would get substantially less interference from other network connections too, which would make the experience even better.

Otherwise, I think these higher frequencies are rather pointless, especially considering how few devices support them.
                  Even better, we already have IEEE 802.11ad on 60 GHz band for purposes you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakobson View Post

Even better, we already have IEEE 802.11ad on 60 GHz band for purposes you mentioned.
                    And 802.11ay.

Comment

Working...
                    X