Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's An Effort By A System76 Engineer To Bring Coreboot To Newer AMD Platforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's An Effort By A System76 Engineer To Bring Coreboot To Newer AMD Platforms

Phoronix: There's An Effort By A System76 Engineer To Bring Coreboot To Newer AMD Platforms

With System76 working towards offering more AMD Linux laptop options as well as continuing to expand their line-up of AMD desktop offerings, it appears their next hurdle is on bringing Coreboot to these current-generation AMD platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When Zen 1 released Dr Lisa Su had an AMA on reddit where one of the highest voted questions were about adding Coreboot support and/or open sourcing their PSP and she responded that she will look into it.
    I'm very excited to at least see that at least one of these things is now likely to be fixed.

Comment

System76 is going to get a huge following if this is successful. I was surprised that so many people cared: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...eon_and_other/

Jeremy, good luck on this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
        System76 is going to get a huge following if this is successful. I was surprised that so many people cared: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...eon_and_other/

Jeremy, good luck on this one!
        Well it makes sense - supporting Coreboot caters to a very specific market that never had a product to choose from. It may be a niche market, but it isn't insignificant. It's not hard to get a good out-of-the-box Linux experience with alternative brands, so offering something nobody else does gives them a huge edge.

That being said, if they could release a high-quality Linux ARM laptop with full hardware compatibility with open-source drivers, that too I predict would sell pretty well. ARM is a great architecture for laptops but so many existing platforms are crippled by driver issues.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          That being said, if they could release a high-quality Linux ARM laptop with full hardware compatibility with open-source drivers, that too I predict would sell pretty well. ARM is a great architecture for laptops but so many existing platforms are crippled by driver issues.
          I'd prefer RISC-V or Power but point is the same.
          I am already considering it for my next workstation which is due next summer

Comment

well, this is much more useful than redox. i hope he will continue with vermeer when they are released. and i hope it will be extended to cover off-the-shelf motherboards

Comment

Well it makes sense - supporting Coreboot caters to a very specific market that never had a product to choose from. It may be a niche market, but it isn't insignificant. It's not hard to get a good out-of-the-box Linux experience with alternative brands, so offering something nobody else does gives them a huge edge.
              Hyperscalers would love it, and this market is huge .

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
                I'd prefer RISC-V or Power but point is the same.
                I am already considering it for my next workstation which is due next summer
                I don't think POWER is especially good for mobile devices and we already have workstations for that, but yeah, a RISC-V laptop would be nice. The only reason I prefer ARM is because it's more mature and there's already plenty of pre-compiled software available for it.
                Last edited by schmidtbag; 24 July 2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dibal View Post
                  Hyperscalers would love it, and this market is huge .
                  I didn't say it wasn't huge, but, even tens of millions of devices sold would be niche in the grand scheme. The market is relatively small, or else other companies would've been supporting this a long time ago. Though, for companies like HP, making open-source firmware would screw them over since they really depend on their firmware to lock in their customers to their ecosystem.

Comment

This is why I've resisted buying an AMD laptop right now. I'm actually looking to see what Apple delivers both as a Mac and hopefully their support for Linux on that hardware. If nothing else is Apple is successful it might get a few other manufactures to follow suit. I find Linux to be a struggle still on X86 and that is in part due to drivers but also due to software fragmentation.

A perfect example here is the horrors I went through the last couple of days to get Jack to work correctly on my machine. come to find out Qjackctl is brain dead. After more hair pulling than I want to admit too I ran Cadeance and had thing up and running within minutes. This is why I'm most interested in how well Apple supports Linux on the ARM based Macs. If done right, with a minimal number of platforms to support, I could see ARM based Linux looking pretty good. Even FOSS developers could have an easier time of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X