Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV ACO Back-End Begins Tackling Navi 2 / GFX10.3 Support

Phoronix: RADV ACO Back-End Begins Tackling Navi 2 / GFX10.3 Support

With the "Sienna Cichlid" and "Navy Flounder" open-source driver support as what appear to be the first "Navi 2" GPUs and the first of the "GFX10.3" generation on the graphics engine side there is the initial kernel support with Linux 5.9 and the initial Mesa support for 20.2. That Mesa support has been focused on RadeonSI as the official OpenGL driver as well as Mesa's RADV driver as the Radeon Vulkan driver in-tree but not officially supported by AMD. That RADV support is currently un-tested. Both drivers currently depend upon the "AMDGPU" back-end found in the forthcoming LLVM 11.0 with its initial GFX10.3 support. But now on the RADV driver side there is preliminary GFX10.3 bits landing for the popular "ACO" back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really excited for all this. I'll be building a new gaming computer in the next few months and it is likely I'll get a Big Navi.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      I'm really excited for all this. I'll be building a new gaming computer in the next few months and it is likely I'll get a Big Navi.
      Good luck with that. Let us know how it works out for you.

(Seriously, no /s)

Comment

I was hoping to get a laptop with an AMD 4900H processor but none seem to be paired with AMD graphics cards, it looks like the 5000M series was a bust :'( hopefully next year I'll be able to get a 6000M card with an AMD cpu

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          I was hoping to get a laptop with an AMD 4900H processor
          Are there any decent laptops (i.e. not these "gaming" abominations) with this processor available anywhere?
          EDIT: no, just asus crap. I miss my Sony A197XP. 16 years ago it had a better display than most laptops you
          can buy today, and it ran linux flawlessly.
          Last edited by mlau; 05 August 2020, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Good news As a RX5700XT user I'm going to switch to Big Navi and want to get as much support as possible asap.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I was hoping to get a laptop with an AMD 4900H processor but none seem to be paired with AMD graphics cards, it looks like the 5000M series was a bust :'( hopefully next year I'll be able to get a 6000M card with an AMD cpu
              Renoir does only have 8 PCIE Lanes available for external GPUs, so there is no real point in pairing it with highend GPUs. The integrated GPU meanwhile is quite decent.

Comment

Working...
              X