Linux 5.9 Supports A Lot Of New Audio Hardware, Intel Silent Stream Added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9 Supports A Lot Of New Audio Hardware, Intel Silent Stream Added

Phoronix: Linux 5.9 Supports A Lot Of New Audio Hardware, Intel Silent Stream Added

The Linux kernel continues supporting a lot more audio devices and much more punctual than a decade or two ago...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wish there was support for cm8888

Comment

Originally posted by thxcv View Post
      Wish there was support for cm8888
      what stops you from writing it?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

To wager a possible guess: lacking at least 40,000 $$$ and/or not able to double up work while doing 2-4 years time at a community college to gain the abilities to write it

I'll tell ya, some days robbing a bank just to get caught seems like an easier and cheaper way to get a 4 year college degree.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I'll tell ya, some days robbing a bank just to get caught seems like an easier and cheaper way to get a 4 year college degree.
          code doesn't check your degree, skill is enough

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            code doesn't check your degree, skill is enough
            Yeah but without a proper university (re) education you risk writing Offensive (tm) and unwoke code. Particularly in device drivers, you may even end up using terminology like a bus MASTER or a BLACK list.

Comment

CM8888 are you talking about Asus Xonar? OSS supported Asus cards until Asus changed the chipset. I don't think the dev is going to support it but you could probably work on updating OSS for your chipset. Anyhow, in my opinion if you want good sound in 2020 you should get a USB DAC.
              Last edited by waitman; 08 August 2020, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

Unfortunately I do not have that skill.

Originally posted by waitman View Post
                CM8888 are you talking about Asus Xonar? OSS supported Asus cards until Asus changed the chipset. I don't think the dev is going to support it but you could probably work on updating OSS for your chipset. Anyhow, in my opinion if you want good sound in 2020 you should get a USB DAC.
                It' s not an Asus, it's from Powercolor or some other gpu manufacturer i think. There is some kind of support as in you might get some squeaking out of it if you're lucky.
                I agree on the DAC note though. Usually do that or use digital out to a (pre)amp, I like to play with (as in set up and listen to) different audio equipment. I'd just like to make use of it for an HTPC, as i have it anyway and it does have some nice outputs.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Yeah but without a proper university (re) education you risk writing Offensive (tm) and unwoke code. Particularly in device drivers, you may even end up using terminology like a bus MASTER or a BLACK list.
                  nope, that only happens with university education ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

To wager a possible guess: lacking at least 40,000 $$$ and/or not able to double up work while doing 2-4 years time at a community college to gain the abilities to write it

they don't usually teach writing device drivers, reverse engineering and similar things like that at university. Many fo the low-level coding people are mostly self thought. And if they went to university it was mostly waste of time for them and barely anything new if at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X