System76 Preparing Coreboot Laptop With Core i9 10900K, Up To 128GB RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Preparing Coreboot Laptop With Core i9 10900K, Up To 128GB RAM

Phoronix: System76 Preparing Coreboot Laptop With Core i9 10900K, Up To 128GB RAM

System76 has been on a spree of interesting hardware launches this year and their next one is a new Bonobo WS ultra high-end laptop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's nothing interesting in Intel.

Comment

Hmm... quantity of RAM hasn’t been following Moore’s law for a while. Good to see 128Gb, but I’m pretty sure that 1Gb was standard 20 years ago. We should be in the Tb by now.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
        Hmm... quantity of RAM hasn’t been following Moore’s law for a while. Good to see 128Gb, but I’m pretty sure that 1Gb was standard 20 years ago. We should be in the Tb by now.
        Why would we need anywhere close to 1+ TB standard?

Comment

I must be missing something, why would anyone need 128GB of ram, in dual channel mode, coupled with a 10C/20T processor? Such a configuration would be nearly 13GB of ram per physical core or 6.4GB of ram per virtual core; I can't think of any application that needs that much ram per core and even if there was such an application it's nearly a certainty that it would benefit for from additional bandwidth than capacity.

To me this is the equivalent of shoehorning a bored out 454 big block into a VW Beetle.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
            Why would we need anywhere close to 1+ TB standard?
            I don't know why I need it. I just know that I want it...

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
              I must be missing something, why would anyone need 128GB of ram, in dual channel mode, coupled with a 10C/20T processor? Such a configuration would be nearly 13GB of ram per physical core or 6.4GB of ram per virtual core; I can't think of any application that needs that much ram per core and even if there was such an application it's nearly a certainty that it would benefit for from additional bandwidth than capacity.

To me this is the equivalent of shoehorning a bored out 454 big block into a VW Beetle.
              Go big or go home

There are many applications for that amount of RAM. The challenge that I see is clocking of those modules. It must be difficult to find the sweet spot of the memory controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                Virtualization, for one. There are use cases for this.

Comment

Is there an AMD option?...
                  Is this finally a custom laptop, or just another Clevo-based thing?

Comment

This class of laptops it is more suited for running expensive+proprietary Windows software, not for open source applications and OSes .

Comment

Working...
                    X