Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SiFive Launches OpenFive As Custom Silicon Business Unit For RISC-V, ARM, Other ISAs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiFive Launches OpenFive As Custom Silicon Business Unit For RISC-V, ARM, Other ISAs

Phoronix: SiFive Launches OpenFive As Custom Silicon Business Unit For RISC-V, ARM, Other ISAs

SiFive today announced OpenFive as their custom silicon business now spun into its own self-contained, autonomous unit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, this will provide a lot of growth I think, compared to the somewhat more pigeonholed brand of SiFive. I have some personal salt with them, but I think they're really pushing things forward in ways that people don't yet realize.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      Cool, this will provide a lot of growth I think, compared to the somewhat more pigeonholed brand of SiFive. I have some personal salt with them, but I think they're really pushing things forward in ways that people don't yet realize.
      There are bucketloads of VHDL/Verilog type shops who do all sorts of custom ASIC work.
      Unless they are RISC-V specific, they're not adding any real edge to whatever already exists.
      People have been trying to push free hardware for the better part of two decades. It hasn't gone anywhere really.
      Unless somebody forks or fixes the effort needed to have a free and performance competitive ecosystem,
      everything is going to be restricted to esoteric or custom, closed-loop type problem solving ASICs.

Comment

What is open about OpenFive?

Comment

They might as well close the doors. I just don’t see a huge RISC V demand. It would be nice to have more competition but for whatever reason nobody is knocking the doors down for this product.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            They might as well close the doors. I just don’t see a huge RISC V demand. It would be nice to have more competition but for whatever reason nobody is knocking the doors down for this product.
            RISC-V is hardly viable. True, it makes a good integrated controller, and even NVIDIA has said they're transitioning to it.

But as a desktop replacement, it can't even do vectored math yet.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

There are bucketloads of VHDL/Verilog type shops who do all sorts of custom ASIC work.
              Unless they are RISC-V specific, they're not adding any real edge to whatever already exists.
              People have been trying to push free hardware for the better part of two decades. It hasn't gone anywhere really.
              Unless somebody forks or fixes the effort needed to have a free and performance competitive ecosystem,
              everything is going to be restricted to esoteric or custom, closed-loop type problem solving ASICs.
              Yes, you are correct.

When I started working with IT in the 90's, Linux was close to nothing and Netware, Sun, SGI were kings!

Even today Linux until has to compete with Windows.

For the long term, you can bet that will change. OpenHardware will find it's niches and slowly bite current players.

Also some thinks that can force/accelerate the change for RISC-V:

- Trump restrictions applied to China that keep Chinese companies with no access to ARM designs.
              - Imagine what reaction will happen in mobile hardware industry if/when Nvidia buys ARM , for example.
              - Marginal player that want to gain his small percentage in market.
              Last edited by juarezr; 17 August 2020, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I wonder if the UK will allow ARM to be sold to the US. I know Trump will threaten to destroy the UK if they don't just hand ARM over to NVidia for free but letting ARM go would be really stupid from the UKs perspective as well as most of the rest of the world as it would leave the US in control of all major CPU architectures which is why the US wants it so bad. Think of the damage they will be able to do. Banning every country on earth from using CPUs unless they do what the US wants.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  I just don’t see a huge RISC V demand.
                  you are looking in the wrong direction. try here https://riscv.org/membership/members/

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    you are looking in the wrong direction. try here https://riscv.org/membership/members/
                    Far for the correct direction. See here.

Comment

Working...
                    X