No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS vs. Linux 5.9 + Mesa 20.3-devel Radeon Graphics Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.04 LTS vs. Linux 5.9 + Mesa 20.3-devel Radeon Graphics Performance

Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS vs. Linux 5.9 + Mesa 20.3-devel Radeon Graphics Performance

Now that the default graphics driver stack of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is a few months old, here is a look at the AMD Radeon Linux gaming performance of Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS out-of-the-box compared to upgrading against Linux 5.9 Git and Mesa 20.3-devel for seeing if the performance advantages are worthwhile in making the leap to the newer RadeonSI OpenGL and RADV Vulkan drivers paired with the very latest kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is that a new feature of the Phoronix Test Suite to output the results in the form of text?
    ("very slight gains", "didn't budge much", "some performance gains"...)

Maybe I am just old fashioned, but I somewhat miss the old graphs

Comment

Could you add one more card like rx570 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
        Is that a new feature of the Phoronix Test Suite to output the results in the form of text?
        ("very slight gains", "didn't budge much", "some performance gains"...)

Maybe I am just old fashioned, but I somewhat miss the old graphs
        Where are you seeing it as text? From the OpenBenchmarking.org export function or where?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
          Could you add one more card like rx570 ?
          Unfortunately too time consuming when no premium users have requested such, etc.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

There are some nice gains considenring the low hanging fruits have been picked already.
            Also as important, no regressions.

Comment

X-Plane results are fishy ...

Average frame time: ~6ms
              Average FPS: ~90 -> ~11ms

So, whats happening in the remaining time? For the other benchmarks, the Frame time/FPS numbers match.

Comment

Then i could ask for a RX-550 and or RX-570

Comment

And I could ask for RX 580 to be thrown in there

Comment

I also think something like RX570-580 can be added since many people have them. You can drop Radeon VII instead And maybe drop RX5700 or RX5600 since they look similar. The point is to have different architectures present, to clearly see how driver behaves with Polaris, Vega, and RDNA

Comment

Working...
                    X