Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperTuxKart 1.2 Brings Better Gamepad Support, Other Features

Phoronix: SuperTuxKart 1.2 Brings Better Gamepad Support, Other Features

For those looking at enjoying some open-source Linux gaming this weekend, SuperTuxKart 1.2 is out as the Mario Kart inspired racing game that is cross-platform and features the Linux mascot Tux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Surprising for an open-source game!

Comment

Now if we could only get a Vulkan backend, and some carts driven by cute anime characters...

Comment

...and yet the UX is still atrocious. If I had time, I'd try to contribute to fix it, but I don't.

Examples:
        • The default Xbox 360 gamepad bindings (which, judging by their crowing about using SDL now, are probably just as bad for every gamepad) are the most counter-intuitive nonsense I've ever seen. For example, they put "look behind" on A!
        • If you press Up or Down too many times in the input device configurator, it pops you to the next tab in the options view, leaving you wondering what the hell just happened. (You should have to explicitly go up a level by pressing Left or hitting some kind of OK/Cancel button.)
        • D-Pad does nothing by default and no ability (that I could see when looking in what I saw as the obvious place) to bind both the D-Pad and the analog stick to menu navigation at the same time. (Ideally, the whole game should have the ability to treat the D-Pad as equivalent to the first analog stick in case you happen to prefer that for some reason with your particular gamepad.)
        • In the story mode overworld, you have to press Fire to enter a challenge, but then press Accelerate to confirm the selected difficulty level. (Pressing Fire a second time does nothing. The AVGN ranted about exactly this kind of inconsistency in a Beavis & Butthead a year or so ago.)
        • The difficulty selector puts OK on the left and Back on the right, even though it uses a leftward-pointing arrow for Back and controllers like the X-Box 360 pads put Back on the left and Start on the right.
        • The Difficulty selector behaves like keyboard navigation in an old DOS TUI, where you have to press Up to move the highlight to the row of difficulty icons, or Down to move it to the row of buttons, rather than just having Left/Right always select Difficulty and mapping A/X or A/B or Start/Back to Confirm/Back like any sane kart racing game does when using a gamepad.
        Last edited by ssokolow; 28 August 2020, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Now if we could only get a Vulkan backend, and some carts driven by cute anime characters...
          Why do you love to trample on SuperTuxKart and LibreOffice all the time?

SuperTuxKart is a mostly unpaid volunteer effort...

It is true that the game does not look like "wooow", but they don't have money to hire artists...

Can you consider that for a moment?

Comment

For starting games programming better this than a full blown game engine

Comment

From the blog post under "What's next?" they say "Beyond more polish, development on Vulkan support is planned to begin as well as general improvements in the rendering engine for more performance."

No anime characters though. Maybe there should be modding support to add those.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Why do you love to trample on SuperTuxKart and LibreOffice all the time?

SuperTuxKart is a mostly unpaid volunteer effort...

It is true that the game does not look like "wooow", but they don't have money to hire artists...

Can you consider that for a moment?
                I was not trampling on SuperTuxKart in this post, I have in the past though, because it runs rather slow and is rather ugly and boring.
                I just got to try LibreOffice 7 which I anticipated highly, but it was rather lackluster and boring, it is the same as LibreOffice 6. I had hoped for more.

Comment

The video looks really blurry and full of artifacts, or is that the game? If the former, they probably should clean that up.

Comment

I was not trampling on SuperTuxKart in this post, I have in the past though, because it runs rather slow and is rather ugly and boring.
                    I just got to try LibreOffice 7 which I anticipated highly, but it was rather lackluster and boring, it is the same as LibreOffice 6. I had hoped for more.
                    Like hookers and blackjack?

It's an office suite.

Comment

Working...
                    X