Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Time To Overhaul The GNU Dynamic Linker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Time To Overhaul The GNU Dynamic Linker?

Phoronix: Is It Time To Overhaul The GNU Dynamic Linker?

At the GNU Tools Track during this week's Linux Plumbers Conference was an interesting talk by Red Hat's Ben Woodard. He shares his perspective on how the GNU dynamic linker (ld.so) could be ripe for an overhaul in the 2020's...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tildearrow
    Why is there a YouTube video for a GNU conference?!!(@ :l

Like I thought Stallman cared about his privacy?

I am not going to check this article...
    Oh my god shut up.

Why can't any of you morons actually talk about the article itself, you always find the most mundane, thoughtless thing to nitpick. You'd be a lot happier on Instagram.

As for the article, I wonder why they're even trying. GNU is supposed to be all about crusty old compatibility and unmaintainable bloatware that needs to be refactored every few years. I just hope maybe they can finally fix the SO Hell problem Linux has always had. I've broken a few systems because I couldn't update them for a few months due to that. Package managers are not SO conflict managers, even though everyone wants to pretend they are.

Comment

Very interesting topic.
      Glad, that somebody takes a look at this.
      I really like to see versioning conflicts at least warned about.
      When you have a plugin interface with 3rd party plugins you never know what they are going to load.
      If they use a custom build of a library you use you might get symbol conflicts that go unnoticed.

It's very brittle IMO. Anybody knows a good way to detect this reliably without a lot of manual work?

Comment

Why is there a YouTube video for a GNU conference?!!
        It's the Linux Plumbers Conference, see this page for an explanation of why it is part of the LPC.

Comment

Why is there a YouTube video for a GNU conference?!!(@ :l

Like I thought Stallman cared about his privacy?

I am not going to check this article...
          Can you sound like anymore of an idiot.

Comment

So why were all of those posts deleted?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
              So why were all of those posts deleted?
              Not cool. He's as bad as 144hz these days, with the ability to screw around with any posts that call him out on it.

Comment

Originally posted by rawr View Post
                Very interesting topic.
                Glad, that somebody takes a look at this.
                I really like to see versioning conflicts at least warned about.
                When you have a plugin interface with 3rd party plugins you never know what they are going to load.
                If they use a custom build of a library you use you might get symbol conflicts that go unnoticed.

It's very brittle IMO. Anybody knows a good way to detect this reliably without a lot of manual work?
                -Wshadow helps.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Can you sound like anymore of an idiot.
                  I am an idiot, and forever being one.
                  I deleted my original post, but I still will be an idiot for the rest of my life.

Without posting anything further. Heck, I even am going to like your insult and the rest, because it is true.

Then I may switch to GNOME and become a real idiot that way.

(And don't compare me to 144Hz because he does not even touch the posts! No you know what? Do compare me to him, and think he does delete posts as well because I am to not be believed!)
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 30 August 2020, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Part of the issue is that LD has been avoid some of its problems when distros do a good job of keeping all their libraries and corresponding applications on canonical versions that work together. That's a credit to hard work of distros but it papers over the problem. The only other solution I've seen is flatpacking (or equivalents) that are almost like fancy versions of a statically linked blob.

Another part of the issue is how important it is to have applications that are Linux distro and version agnostic in the distribution mechanism vs in-distro repository. If I had to guess I think the flatpack-like model will grow over time although it won't dominate either.
                    Last edited by chuckula; 30 August 2020, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X