Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Linux Developers Are Ecstatic Over Fedora On Lenovo Systems

Phoronix: Many Linux Developers Are Ecstatic Over Fedora On Lenovo Systems

As noted this weekend, Lenovo has begun offering Fedora pre-loaded on their systems beginning with the ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 laptop. Red Hat's Christian Schaller who serves as the senior manager for desktop chimed in with some additional thoughts and details on this achievement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is indeed cool. If anything it will help ensure that the hardware is more "standard" for all FOSS platforms *and* Windows forward compatibility.

The days of weird ad-hoc power management and hotkey drivers could be over. Perhaps even the BIOS/EFI might be implemented against standards too!

Comment

Linux preinstalled sounds amazing until you realize that there are some crazy unresolved issues with it:
      • Fedora features new releases each nine months and AFAIK there's no graphical way to seamlessly upgrade Fedora N to N+1 or N+2. Running dnf in console is not what people expect from an OS in 2020.
      • GRUB/kernel/Xorg/GDM/Gnome updates can make system unbootable/unusable (it's relatively rare but it happens) - there's no way to boot into some sort of safe environment and fix/revert the recent changes to fix your system. Recovery mode exists but it boots you into the text console which is alien to absolute most people out there. Or, in case GRUB is broken, there's no way to recover at all except booting from recovery media.
      • These laptops with come with secure UEFI boot mode on which means the user will not be able to use applications like VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation unless the user disables secure boot which is not really good.
      • In other OSes GUI sees less drastic changes less often and in Linux, specially in Gnome, it may make people feel uncomfortable.
      • And the biggest of the issues is that there's a lot more software and games for Windows than for Linux.
      It's all IMO and you may disagree with that but everything that I've written is based on my experience of using Linux exclusively for more than two decades.
      Last edited by birdie; 31 August 2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

What else would you be using for development anyway? Thinkpad T is still the go-to solution for anything serious about mobile and Fedora is the best distro for development. I only sidestep Fedora because Fedora sidesteps KDE.

birdie If you're intimidated by the CLI after 20 years, clearly Linux is not for you. Save yourself some pain (too late, I know) and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Linux preinstalled sounds amazing until you realize that there are some crazy unresolved issues with it:
          • Fedora features new releases each nine months and AFAIK there's no graphical way to seamlessly upgrade Fedora N to N+1 or N+2. Running dnf in console is not what people expect from an OS in 2020.
          • GRUB/kernel/Xorg/GDM/Gnome updates can make system unbootable/unusable (it's relatively rare but it happens) - there's no way to boot into some sort of safe environment and fix/revert the recent changes to fix your system. Recovery mode exists but it boots you into the text console which is alien to absolute most people out there. Or, in case GRUB is broken, there's no way to recover at all except booting from recovery media.
          • These laptops with come with secure UEFI boot mode on which means the user will not be able to use applications like VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation unless the user disables secure boot which is not really good.
          • In other OSes GUI sees less drastic changes less often and in Linux, specially in Gnome, it may make people feel uncomfortable.
          • And the biggest of the issues is that there's a lot more software and games for Windows than for Linux.
          It's all IMO and you may disagree with that but everything that I've written is based on my experience of using Linux exclusively for more than two decades.
          Ehh, you do know you can go to the (GNOME) Software, go to "updates" and if there is a new version of Fedora, there will be a big banner proclaiming there is a new version of Fedora with a big button for you to click on to upgrade the system. Nothing hard about that.
          People buying a Linux laptop will probably be aware they'll run Linux software. I can now basically run all my games I have, a lot of which I got when I was still on Windows.

Comment

Linux preinstalled sounds amazing until you realize that there are some crazy unresolved issues with it:[LIST][*]Fedora features new releases each nine months and AFAIK there's no graphical way to seamlessly upgrade Fedora N to N+1 or N+2. Running dnf in console is not what people expect from an OS in 2020.
            It's every 6 months, and you can upgrade between releases using Gnome software center (graphically) or with dnf (CLI).

These laptops are intended for existing users of Linux on the desktop, so I'm not sure why the arguments you are making (regardless of their merit) would affect people who are already planning on running Linux.

Comment

I could go point by point but even the first one here is factually incorrect.

Fedora lifecycle is typically more like 13 months, given that each release is supported for N+1 + 1 month and every release is usually about six months apart and GNOME Software has supported a graphical method of upgrading for a very long time and prompts you pro-actively when a new release is available. It all automatic. If you are a current user of Fedora and you have all this experience with Linux, I am curious why you missed this.

Comment

*derailed*

It is schizophrenic using Linux over 20years but proclaiming win is better. Nice bait troll.

Lets geht back on track.
                Lenovo+Linux great Option. Im hoping this is just the beginning. Im really looking forward to the improvments

Comment

A secure, fast, free OS and bloated, slow, insecure, spying crap. What should I choose?

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                    A secure, fast, free OS and bloated, slow, insecure, spying crap. What should I choose?
                    The first one gotta be Windows 10 and the bloated crap is probably that proprietary systemD/Linux spyware by those Red Hat dickheads, right? The choice is obvious.

/s, naturally

Comment

Working...
                    X