Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel 11th Gen Core "Tiger Lake" Launches

Phoronix: Intel 11th Gen Core "Tiger Lake" Launches

Intel Tiger Lake will soon begin appearing in laptops with an upgraded CPU architecture, the all new Iris Xe (Gen12) graphics, new AI capabilities, Thunderbolt 4, PCI Express 4.0, WiFi 6, and other new functionality. The Gen12 graphics have me most excited but there should be healthy improvements as well on the CPU side and not to mention improved connectivity.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All the nice features wrapped up into a small package are going to be very nice in mobile. I'm not in the market for a notebook right now but given the GPU power plus AV1 hardware accelerated decode, I'm definitely grabbing a NUC for a Linux A/V machine when they become available.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      All the nice features wrapped up into a small package are going to be very nice in mobile. I'm not in the market for a notebook right now but given the GPU power plus AV1 hardware accelerated decode, I'm definitely grabbing a NUC for a Linux A/V machine when they become available.
      Don't forget to bend over while paying the intel premium for a maximum of 4 cores

Comment

I don't trust Intel power numbers. First it wasn't TDP but a lot of other stuff. Now it's even more complex.
        What does "Operating Range" mean? I know it sounds rather obvious, but given the history, I'm not so sure.
        Is it TDP, cTDP, Real max?

Comment

Originally posted by higgslagrangian View Post

Don't forget to bend over while paying the intel premium for a maximum of 4 cores
          Everything isn't measured in number of cores.
          Intel CPUs usually have great single threaded performance, which is really important.
          Early numbers indicate some impressive single threading performance. Nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

Originally posted by higgslagrangian View Post

Well considering the most expensive AMD GPU that I can buy on Newegg right now is $3K and won't do AV1 decoding, and actually has LESS than 4 CPU cores, I'm pretty sure a NUC that will cost a tiny fraction of that is a much better idea.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Everything isn't measured in number of cores.
              Intel CPUs usually have great single threaded performance, which is really important.
              Early numbers indicate some impressive single threading performance. Nothing to sneeze at.
              More and more things are becoming heavily multi-threaded. And if you're a programmer who primarily uses a laptop to code on, more cores trumps extra single thread performance. I feel like Intel designed this lineup well before they knew how disruptive Renoir was going to be, so they got stuck with 4c/8t for this generation.

Comment

What I find interesting is how Intel basically dropped this on the world, allowed no questions, provided no information on their performance claims, no pricing, no time of availability.
                It totally feels like a paper launch, where they want to hide things too.

If it's a sunny cove core, just like ice-lake, how does a 9% clock increase result in a 20% improvement?

And the other numbers they provided was just as fishy.

I don't think tiger lake is bad, just that this launch feels like I'm being lied to. And that makes me ask... Why?

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post

More and more things are becoming heavily multi-threaded. And if you're a programmer who primarily uses a laptop to code on, more cores trumps extra single thread performance. I feel like Intel designed this lineup well before they knew how disruptive Renoir was going to be, so they got stuck with 4c/8t for this generation.
                  More and more programmers are also moving their workloads to the cloud. I have a four core laptop for work, but I rarely use all of the performance it has to offer since anything reasonably demanding will get run somewhere else anyways. If more cores means more power draw, I'd rather stay where I am in terms of performance so I can maintain long battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                    What I find interesting is how Intel basically dropped this on the world, allowed no questions, provided no information on their performance claims, no pricing, no time of availability.
                    It totally feels like a paper launch, where they want to hide things too.

If it's a sunny cove core, just like ice-lake, how does a 9% clock increase result in a 20% improvement?

And the other numbers they provided was just as fishy.

I don't think tiger lake is bad, just that this launch feels like I'm being lied to. And that makes me ask... Why?
                    I don't know what planet you are on but the launch of Tiger Lake and the fact that it was happening today has been known for months by people who pay attention. If you weren't paying attention, that doesn't mean it just happened out of nowhere. On top of that, at both Architecture Day and at HotChips Intel provided a very large amount of detail on all the technical internals of Tiger Lake and Xe graphics. A launch event doesn't need to repeat information that's already been provided.

As for not answering any questions, Ian Cuttress of Anandtech who is generally as pro-AMD as they come sure seemed to get a whole lot of very specific questions answered today: https://twitter.com/IanCutress/statu...32107038093312

Comment

Working...
                    X