No announcement yet.

A Deep Dive Into The AMD/Intel CPU + NVIDIA GPU Performance With Blender 2.90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Deep Dive Into The AMD/Intel CPU + NVIDIA GPU Performance With Blender 2.90

Phoronix: A Deep Dive Into The AMD/Intel CPU + NVIDIA GPU Performance With Blender 2.90

Following the debut of the big Blender 2.90 release and subsequently updating it for the Phoronix Test Suite / OpenBenchmarking.org, here is a deep dive into the Blender 2.90 performance... A number of areas are being looked at with the initial Blender 2.90 benchmarks from how the performance is on various CPUs and GPUs to the performance of the Blender 2.82 vs. 2.90 to looking at the Windows vs. Linux performance for Blender 2.90 with various means of acceleration.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Thank you for those tests.
    You mentioned you'll try to run even more gpu tests with more Nvidia cards to compare. Any chance to throw some open CL tests with AMD & NVIDIA cards in the mix in there too?

Comment

Originally posted by TOMBOMBADIL View Post
      You mentioned you'll try to run even more gpu tests with more Nvidia cards to compare. Any chance to throw some open CL tests with AMD & NVIDIA cards in the mix in there too?
      The OpenCL perf is trash compared to CUDA/OptiX still so dropped the Blender 2.90 tests of it when they were still running so slow.... That paired with the mixed OpenCL state for Navi, let it go for now.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

@Michael

Just wanted to point out that, as far as baselines go, the 2.83 LTS release *is* worth updating to in terms of benchmarks going forward IMHO.

Comment

Thanks for this great comparison! Really interesting!

Originally posted by TOMBOMBADIL View Post
          As Michael wrote, the OpenCL blender backend isn't really good, not even on Nvidia GPUs. So there is hardly any point in comparing.

In any case, im pleasantly surprised about the performance of those high core count CPUs. Makes me wonder about blender performance per Watt. Michael maybe a nice follow up article with only a few GPUs and CPUs?

Comment

Is this a possible test point, does it work:
            windows server 2019 with wsl2 with blender2.90 ?

Comment

Michael Am I reading it right that AMD CPU are faster than CUDA?

Only OptyX managed to be faster?

😮

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                Michael Am I reading it right that AMD CPU are faster than CUDA?

Only OptyX managed to be faster?

😮
                That's definitely something I would be interested in, a CPU/GPU benchmark displayed on the same graph, for 2 or 3 different scene types. The Barbershop results are interesting (favours CPU) but I'm not sure if the scene render settings are otherwise identicle?

Comment

Michael must be making quite the nice buck from this website and his test suite, there has to be close to 50 grand worth of computers and equipment in that one pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                    Michael must be making quite the nice buck from this website and his test suite, there has to be close to 50 grand worth of computers and equipment in that one pic.
                    More like living month to month on ads for the site.... Keep in mind most of the computer components I get for free for testing as review samples. Unlike some reviewers, I don't sell the hardware afterwards thus a larger collection for comparisons over time, etc, like with Spectre/Meltdown and other driver/distribution comparisons over time.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X