No announcement yet.

Kernel Bisecting Has Never Been Faster Than With AMD EPYC + AMD Threadripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernel Bisecting Has Never Been Faster Than With AMD EPYC + AMD Threadripper

Phoronix: Kernel Bisecting Has Never Been Faster Than With AMD EPYC + AMD Threadripper

While Zen 3 is just around the corner, current-generation Ryzen Threadripper and EPYC processors continue to impress particularly for build boxes and tasks like bisecting the Linux kernel's massive codebase...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is spectacular. The Linux Foundation should be funding your lab, Michael.

Comment

Looking forward to hearing about the TensorFlow regression and what happens with the Apache/HB/nginx regression. It would be cool if the TF fixes if needed made it into 5.9 since it's LTS but we'll have to see.
      Last edited by aphysically; 10 September 2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

The most fascinating bit here is that Linus alludes to regressions AND improvements due to the patch but also a staggering increase in context switching. I just can't imagine what workload would improve with such a patch.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          This is spectacular. The Linux Foundation should be funding your lab, Michael.
          Completely agree with you on this one!
          Michael is doing one of the most important jobs in the kernel development process.
          It would be great if he wouldn't have to beg for people to turn off their adblockers or to subscribe to premium since the Linux foundation has a lot of money from the big companies which are helped a lot by Michael's regressions and performance problem findings.
          Hopefully they will understand one day how important Michael's job is and decide to help him a bit.

Comment

Does PTS automatically update the kernel, reboot, run the test, and so on, during bisecting?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post
              Does PTS automatically update the kernel, reboot, run the test, and so on, during bisecting?
              Yes it can with an extra PTS module.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                The most fascinating bit here is that Linus alludes to regressions AND improvements due to the patch but also a staggering increase in context switching. I just can't imagine what workload would improve with such a patch.
                Just because you're Linus Torvalds does not make you immune from performance regressions in a complex environment.
                I think this more than ever stresses the point that Linux needs an official performance regression suite.

Comment

I've also been infinitely more productive in bisects in general, not just with the Linux kernel. I recently had to bisect across 2 full major revisions of mesa, and at < 1min of build time to build the full pacman package, I was able to get finished pretty quickly with my 3960X compared to the waiting hell that I used to go through before upgrading.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Just because you're Linus Torvalds does not make you immune from performance regressions in a complex environment.
                    I think this more than ever stresses the point that Linux needs an official performance regression suite.
                    It's not a blame thing. I didn't know who even submitted or wrote the patch. I'm saying that in light of Linus's observation plus Michael's testing, it's unexpected to me that the patch improves anything. Not trying to rock the boat or anything. I like Linus and everyone who contributes to the Kernel. I generally assume they're doing their best with good intentions.

Comment

Working...
                    X