Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Erlang Is Seeing Work On "BeamAsm" - A JIT Compiler Yielding Much Performance Uplift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erlang Is Seeing Work On "BeamAsm" - A JIT Compiler Yielding Much Performance Uplift

Phoronix: Erlang Is Seeing Work On "BeamAsm" - A JIT Compiler Yielding Much Performance Uplift

Lukas Larsson of Erlang Solutions is proposing "BeamAsm" as a JIT compiler for the Erlang virtual machine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool. When I was working with Elixir, straight line performance was a big issue.

Comment

Very good response to the fact that pretty much all Elixir companies need to use libraries written in a different pre-compiled language for performance reasons. Discord is practically making a business out of writing Rust NIFs.

Erlang really is an absolute mess with how it's implemented, with the fact that the compiler does all the optimizations instead of the runtime. I know it's a "happy accident" story kind of like JavaScript, but seriously, some of the decisions that went into Erlang just seem outright backwards. I highly respect Joe Armstrong, but I swear at least on a few occasions when making Erlang he asked himself "what makes the most sense to do here and how can I do the exact opposite of that"

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
        Very good response to the fact that pretty much all Elixir companies need to use libraries written in a different pre-compiled language for performance reasons. Discord is practically making a business out of writing Rust NIFs.

Erlang really is an absolute mess with how it's implemented, with the fact that the compiler does all the optimizations instead of the runtime. I know it's a "happy accident" story kind of like JavaScript, but seriously, some of the decisions that went into Erlang just seem outright backwards. I highly respect Joe Armstrong, but I swear at least on a few occasions when making Erlang he asked himself "what makes the most sense to do here and how can I do the exact opposite of that"
        Joe Armstrong was brilliant, but writing C like it's lisp is... Not the most praiseworthy strategy.

Comment

Joe Armstrong didn't write the BEAM. It was called Bogdan's Erlang Abstract Machine for a reason. He wrote the first implementation in Prolog.

Comment

Working...
          X