Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightworks Software Now Independent Of EditShare

Phoronix: Lightworks Software Now Independent Of EditShare

For just over a decade the Lightworks high-end, cross-platform video editing software has been owned by EditShare after it was acquired from Gee Broadcast. Now though LWKS Software Ltd has been established and acquired this video editing software from EditShare...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As for Lightworks going open source now, I seriously doubt it.

This announcement appears to be a buyout by 2 guys (1 used to be with Avid) from the guys who were financing it. (Chairman of EditShare)

Seems there is a lot of cash flow in a "free" NLE where you charge coin for the plugins. Kind of the old razor blade/ink jet biz model.

Comment

To me, they are just lying people who did opensource washing to regain interest, and nothing else.

And under linux, better using the excellent Da Vinci Resolve.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
        To me, they are just lying people who did opensource washing to regain interest, and nothing else.

And under linux, better using the excellent Da Vinci Resolve.
        Except that Resolve barely runs under Linux, I have only gotten it to work under Ubuntu after a lot of fiddling, I can't get it to run under Debian, Manjaro, Fedora, or any other distro, even when I think all the dependencies have been met. And even under Ubuntu, the scaling of the GUI was atrocious, all the fonts were so small you could barely read anything, hardly usable.

If you want good video editing buy a Mac or even Windows, the sad thing even open source apps like Shotcut and AviDemux run better on Win 10 with my Ice Lake laptop than they do with any Linux distro on my R5 1600 desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post

Except that Resolve barely runs under Linux, I have only gotten it to work under Ubuntu after a lot of fiddling, I can't get it to run under Debian, Manjaro, Fedora, or any other distro, even when I think all the dependencies have been met. And even under Ubuntu, the scaling of the GUI was atrocious, all the fonts were so small you could barely read anything, hardly usable.

If you want good video editing buy a Mac or even Windows, the sad thing even open source apps like Shotcut and AviDemux run better on Win 10 with my Ice Lake laptop than they do with any Linux distro on my R5 1600 desktop.
          I have v16 and it runs under an Ubuntu derivative for me just fine. The only wart is when it is looking for the console at startup, the session appears to be hung while it probes the system for it and Ubuntu gets impatient and asks if you want to terminate or wait. When the probe finishes the workspace appears shortly after and the Ubuntu system dialog disappears.

As for the open source video editors, I have used both Open Shot & Kdenlive and run into small issues from time to time, but nothing serious. I am not married to one editor like many people are because i am not worried about productivity in my workflow. I learn them all, find their pros and cons and leverage them at the right time.

Blackmagic Design is not my favorite company, just was never a big fan.

Comment

Generally, post production softwares are designed to run primarily under CentOS 6/7 as it's the distribution used in 90 percents of animation studios.

Comment

Generally, post production softwares are designed to run primarily under CentOS 6/7 as it's the distribution used in 90 percents of animation studios.
              But if it works more or less only under a specific distro, it's a very sad form of "runs under linux". Better than "runs only in some old Ubuntu LTS" like most other software but still

Comment

Generally, post production software are designed to run primarily under CentOS 6/7 as it's the distribution used in 90 percents of animation studios.
                I have seen the same on the Windows side. Specific .NET versions, or certain libraries with certain versions, like Windows 10, v1909, v2000, etc.

Comment

Just try to avoid using Handbrake on those platforms! If you are used to the Linux version, the Windows UI will badly irk you and the MacOS version will utterly drive you up the wall! (I get to use it on both at work. Oh joy!)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

But if it works more or less only under a specific distro, it's a very sad form of "runs under linux". Better than "runs only in some old Ubuntu LTS" like most other software but still
                    It works under Fedora 31 here. Just have to force the nvidia driver/gpu instead of the default intel driver/gpu.
                    It should work on Archlinux too : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DaVinci_Resolve
                    Running under a "specific linux distro" is already quite nice. If it does not run out of the box on other distros, usually you can find workarounds after some troubleshooting.

Comment

Working...
                    X