Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Has Been Working On New NVFS File-System

Phoronix: Red Hat Has Been Working On New NVFS File-System

Yet another new file-system being worked on for the Linux/open-source world is NVFS and has been spearheaded by a Red Hat engineer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another file system?!

(by the way, the name sounds a lot like NTFS...)

Comment

One can never have enough file systems. Unless, of course, it's called ReiserFS.

Comment

It's a shame that Optane failed. It sounded so promising, but evidently couldn't be fabricated economically. I've heard other theories having to do with marketing etc., but from what I've been able to glean it seems the problems were fabrication costs. And from what I've read it also appears the second generation will suffer the same fate. If I'm wrong I would welcome someone chiming in and setting me straight, as it failed so dismally there aren't even many articles about it anymore. It already seems to have been lost to the dustbin of history.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
          It's a shame that Optane failed. It sounded so promising, but evidently couldn't be fabricated economically.
          The larger capacity range that isn't using NVDIMM slots, the 9xxp series are great, that product line definitely hasn't failed. Not sure if those count as PMEM devices, I guess not?

The NVDIMMs are apparently good, just the small capacity for high cost makes them rather niche, not so useful for many consumers. Would be pretty cool though to be able to survive a power outage and reboot back into the prior state if that could be made possible. For those where it matters I realize they'd just use UPS to fall back to and respond to the event to keep the data safe.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
            ... The NVDIMMs are apparently good, just the small capacity for high cost makes them rather niche, not so useful for many consumers. ...
            Yes, the high cost is what made them fail and become a niche product. But for years it was claimed that Optane was going to be inexpensive and supplant hard disks. And I've never been able to find a certain answer as to why that is.

There are many articles about Optane failing, and most indicate it was because of fabrication costs, and point to the hope that mass production will contribute to prices normalizing. But those articles are years old now, and as I intimated it seems that since then Optane is slowly fading away.

So I'm curious as to what the exact problem with fabrication is, if that is indeed the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Another file system?!
              Apparently there is no filesystem for DAX storage devices. They are devices so fast that using Linux disk cache would actually degrade performance significantly.

Comment

Another file system?!

(by the way, the name sounds a lot like NTFS...)
                the last one failed

Comment

the name sounds a lot like NTFS..
                  I was thinking, "Nvidia filesystem?"
                  Last edited by DanL; 15 September 2020, 07:36 PM.

Comment

is it filesystem for ssd? how is it any better than f2fs or ext4?

Comment

Working...
                    X