AMD Is Hiring To Work On New Radeon Driver Tooling Written In Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Hiring To Work On New Radeon Driver Tooling Written In Rust

Phoronix: AMD Is Hiring To Work On New Radeon Driver Tooling Written In Rust

It turns out AMD is at least exploring the possibilities around using the Rust programming language in their graphics driver tooling...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope they fell not victim to the illusion that the choice of programming language determines the quality of the software.
    But hey, if some new "tools" (written in whatever language) help to get the show-stopping, years-long-standing bugs in amdgpu fixed, everything is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
      I hope they fell not victim to the illusion that the choice of programming language determines the quality of the software.
      But hey, if some new "tools" (written in whatever language) help to get the show-stopping, years-long-standing bugs in amdgpu fixed, everything is welcome.
      I think as long as the one making decisions doesn't expect Rust to be some kind of Miracle Silver Bullet and reels in their expectations they'll be fine. I think there instances where the memory protections may be worth it, at the very least as a trial.

Then there is the problem of finding human resources technically skilled and somewhat replaceable so the code-base isn't a useless heap only 1 guy understands when he retires, I am curious what the Rust talent pool looks like. It has been a very appealing language for me personally, and the Linux coreutil rewrites are pretty freeking cool.

Shell is the essential tool for every programmer. The more familiar you become with the available tools, the more efficient you can be with

$bat is amazing, $grex is interesting $exa is great, `$sudo bandwhich -a` `tealdeer [AUR]; $tldr` `$dust` `$procs -t` `fd` `$fd SEARCH_TERM`

To me, I'll happily deploy whatever tools I need to my Linux Systems and The Rust replacements are automatically colorized, organized and simplified -- I really think attempting to simplify complex things is the meaning of genius -- and it's nice to have a shell experience that doesn't feel like 1980s but feels like 2020. Not knocking on the awesomeness of the 80s but it's time for Linux CLI to grow with the times or get left behind as technology marches forward.

Rust & Rust developments are very intriguing for me personally.
      Last edited by ElectricPrism; 24 September 2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Probably a bad idea to use Rust.
        The reason we don't see full blown apps in Rust taking over the Linux desktop is because it's far less productive because the issues it fixes come at a heavy cost and the bindings and style you have to use is alien to the human brain because writing otherwise is not allowed because of the borrow checker - I did a quick look at the Qt bindings - they're disgusting to me as a human.

I only see these cases as suitable for Rust:
        - some complicated multi-threaded task
        - some toy app, like fd [1] which is awesome
        - a part of code in an app like telegram, tor or whatnot that are obsessed with security.

[1] https://github.com/sharkdp/fd

Comment

I am a dumb guy who tried out Rust, it is pretty hard to code with, but its a bit cool. It uses traits and structs instead of interfaces and classes, but its kinda similar. It doesn't support async methods in traits though. Nor does it support string interpolation. I am not sure if Option<Value> provides any benefit over nullable values, because then you have to extract it and check if it has a value or is None, so then you might as well check if its not null.

Comment

I find it interesting that people that don't know Rust(most probably aren't even developers), come here straight away to complain about it, without understanding the advantages and disadvantages of the language && tooling.
            It has been a "Silver Bullet" for many projects and companies already.
            There is a reason why it is the most loved programming language, 5 years in a row.

You don't have to understand it, but please stop with the dumb, uninformed arguments.

Comment

If AMD can build team that can wield this language, it will serve them well.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
                I find it interesting that people that don't know Rust(most probably aren't even developers), come here straight away to complain about it, without understanding the advantages and disadvantages of the language && tooling.
                It has been a "Silver Bullet" for many projects and companies already.
                There is a reason why it is the most loved programming language, 5 years in a row.

You don't have to understand it, but please stop with the dumb, uninformed arguments.

I need to give another 50 years so they stop messing around with the language like they do in python, and then it's safe to use.

May the nim-lang be with you always.

Comment

...aaaaand where is the control panel?

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

I think as long as the one making decisions doesn't expect Rust to be some kind of Miracle Silver Bullet and reels in their expectations they'll be fine. I think there instances where the memory protections may be worth it, at the very least as a trial.

Then there is the problem of finding human resources technically skilled and somewhat replaceable so the code-base isn't a useless heap only 1 guy understands when he retires, I am curious what the Rust talent pool looks like. It has been a very appealing language for me personally, and the Linux coreutil rewrites are pretty freeking cool.

Shell is the essential tool for every programmer. The more familiar you become with the available tools, the more efficient you can be with

$bat is amazing, $grex is interesting $exa is great, `$sudo bandwhich -a` `tealdeer [AUR]; $tldr` `$dust` `$procs -t` `fd` `$fd SEARCH_TERM`

To me, I'll happily deploy whatever tools I need to my Linux Systems and The Rust replacements are automatically colorized, organized and simplified -- I really think attempting to simplify complex things is the meaning of genius -- and it's nice to have a shell experience that doesn't feel like 1980s but feels like 2020. Not knocking on the awesomeness of the 80s but it's time for Linux CLI to grow with the times or get left behind as technology marches forward.

Rust & Rust developments are very intriguing for me personally.
                    THAT'S SO AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. IMO, zoxide seems one of the most productive to work. I hate to type long directories with cd that sometimes I feel that opening Nautilus and right-click "Open Terminal here" is faster.

Comment

Working...
                    X