Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.10 To See RAID10 DISCARD Improvement - From 259 Seconds To Less Than 1 Second

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.10 To See RAID10 DISCARD Improvement - From 259 Seconds To Less Than 1 Second

Phoronix: Linux 5.10 To See RAID10 DISCARD Improvement - From 259 Seconds To Less Than 1 Second

Queued today into the block subsystem's "-next" area ahead of the Linux 5.10 cycle kicking off next month are some MD RAID enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it a good idea to use MD RAID5 anymore? Now that there are systems like ZFS and Btrfs.

Comment

MD RAID 5 is faster than ZFS RAID-Z1, but also less resilient against data loss due to the RAID write hole. Btrfs RAID 5 has the same characteristics as MD RAID 5 - it's fast but a power outage can cause data loss.

Comment

A power outage causing data lose in a methodology (R5) that's meant to prevent data loss.

FFS.

Glad I gave up BTRFS.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          A power outage causing data lose in a methodology (R5) that's meant to prevent data loss.

FFS.

Glad I gave up BTRFS.
          I don't see that as a problem at all. If your data is important, then why would you allow power outage?

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

FFS.

Glad I gave up BTRFS.
            I wouldn't run RAID 5 or 6 with MD RAID either. For those the only good option is a hardware card.

I'm running btrfs RAID-10 with six drives and a second RAID-1 of two SSD drives. It's pretty great.

Comment

R10 was what I settled on as well. 5/6 clearly haven't settled down.

Good ol' disconnected HDD's shoved in a cupboard for restoration. Personal use only =D
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Is it a good idea to use MD RAID5 anymore?
                No

The storage version of Y2k? No, it's a function of capacity growth and RAID 5's limitations.

Three years ago I warned that RAID 5 would stop working in 2009. Sure enough, no enterprise storage vendor now recommends RAID 5. Now it's RAID 6, which protects against 2 drive failures. But in 2019 even RAID 6 won't protect your data. Here's why.

Comment

Working...
                X