Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Sends Out Linux Kernel Support For Van Gogh APUs - Confirms DDR5 Memory, VCN3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends Out Linux Kernel Support For Van Gogh APUs - Confirms DDR5 Memory, VCN3

Phoronix: AMD Sends Out Linux Kernel Support For Van Gogh APUs - Confirms DDR5 Memory, VCN3

As a nice Friday afternoon patch series there is the 275k lines of code for wiring up the next-generation AMD Van Gogh APU support under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Basically Van Gogh APUs will be the consumer version of the highly customized, highly tuned AMD APUs in the Sony PS-5 and the X-Bone workstation....(because a game console the size of the upcoming X-Bone can't really be called a "console.")
    Last edited by Jumbotron; 25 September 2020, 09:20 PM.

Comment

WHOAH....just had another look. Are they seriously writing up support for DDR 3 and DDR 4 with these parts ?? What the hell ?? That would make Van Gogh worthless on machines with that kind of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        Basically Van Gogh APUs will be the consumer version of the highly customized, highly tuned AMD APUs in the Sony PS-5 and the X-Bone workstation....(because a game console the size of the upcoming X-Bone can't really be called a "console."
        are you really comparing mobile APUs to consoles with GDDR6 memory, 8c/16t CPUs and enough GPU power for raytracing at 4k? and as far as the size goes, PS5 is the biggest one. Xbox Series S is decent though.

PC APUs are sadly quite limited in performance. on one hand, DDR memory isn't an ideal solution, on the other they don't have on-chip memory for the GPU to speed things up. that, and the fact that current games require GPUs with way higher TDP than whole APU, is a problem. what can they realistically release, something with a compute performance on the level of gtx 1650 or something? at best. and that's on the desktop. we'll see how RDNA2 scales on the lower end, but it'll still be memory bandwidth - starved, as all APUs are.

less expensive chips are great, i'm using A8-7600 and it can run original Crysis with pretty high settings in 720p at 30-40fps. unfortunately, fastest APUs are so expensive it makes more sense to buy separate CPU and GPU. total TDP will be higher, but performance-wise it'll be an absolute win.

Comment

This would be great if an RDNA2 APU will be in laptops early in 2021. Especially one with DDR5 support. However this sounds like a desktop chip.

Comment

Sometimes I envy all the engineers involved who do know all of these informations many months before we do and get to play with new tech before we can. They can smile to themselves to know it better (or get mad) every time someone posts wild speculative guesses which are way off.

Comment

WHOAH....just had another look.
              I'd suggest you look again.

Comment

Basically Van Gogh APUs will be the consumer version of the highly customized, highly tuned AMD APUs in the Sony PS-5 and the X-Bone workstation....(because a game console the size of the upcoming X-Bone can't really be called a "console."
                The PS5 isn't a game console either. It's a plastic, ugly spaceship. I'd rather put the new Xbox in my living room.

Comment

Does anyone know if Van Gogh will enable playback of protected 4K content? Or are we still stuck with Intel CPUs and Windows only?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

The PS5 isn't a game console either. It's a plastic, ugly spaceship. I'd rather put the new Xbox in my living room.
                    Then enjoy your overpriced Windows Workstation that can't even do as well as a PS5 in a case half its size. All that customized AMD APU power hamstrung by Windows. I wish I could waste my hard earned dollars like you can.

https://pokde.net/gaming/sony/ps5/ps...develop-games/

Comment

Working...
                    X