Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.20 Should Be Crashing A Lot Less Under Wayland

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.20 Should Be Crashing A Lot Less Under Wayland

Following the recent Plasma 5.20 beta release, KDE developers have been landing many fixes for the Plasma 5.20 desktop ahead of its official release in October...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome. After how many years now? Wayland is STILL the future! :P But in all seriousness, I can't wait til this is ready for primetime, as plasma is my recommendation to most new linux users. A lot of laptop owners in my life. What would probably be even better is that vulkan renderer working; I bet it'd allow for some nice power and battery life optimizations...

Comment

Still waiting for an announcement that Plasma Wayland will finally work with Nouveau.

Comment

What about screencasting with KDE under Wayland? Pipewire support?

Comment

The Phoronix summary says both plasma 5.20 (top part) and plasma 5.21 (bottom part)?

Which is it?

Comment

How about not crashing at all? Imagine if Windows Explorer kept crashing, people would be ripping MS a new one, though in all fairness Win 7's Explorer does have a tendency to lock up and crash every once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
              The Phoronix summary says both plasma 5.20 (top part) and plasma 5.21 (bottom part)?

Which is it?
              It's both. It could be stated better. Something like "Stability fixes are coming for 5.20 while, later on, new features will be coming with 5.21".

Comment

I'm still waiting for KDE to quit crashing with the past 20 years of xorg.

Comment

Now we only need SDDM to fully support Wayland sessions (instead of logging-in to a "black screen"), or some another Wayland-compliant display manager, excluding GDM which brings us tons of unneeded dependencies while we're using KDE Plasma, KDE's programs and other QT5-based apps.

Comment

Really great to see so many important bug fixes. I hope Plasma 5.20 is in good shape then :-) But I agree with some other comments here that there are still too many possibilities to crash Plasma or KDE applications.

Comment

Working...
                    X