Mesa 20.3 Can Now Consume SPIR-V Binaries Generated By LLVM's libclc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20.3 Can Now Consume SPIR-V Binaries Generated By LLVM's libclc

Phoronix: Mesa 20.3 Can Now Consume SPIR-V Binaries Generated By LLVM's libclc

Microsoft's work on Mesa continues with a Microsoft engineer reviving earlier work carried out by David Airlie for allowing SPIR-V binaries produced by LLVM's libclc library to work with Mesa OpenCL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Microsoft's work on Mesa continues" <-- That is just *so* weird to read...

Comment

Thank you Microsoft! ❤️
      And in October they are releasing Microsoft Edge for Linux too!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Thank you Microsoft! ❤️
        And in October they are releasing Microsoft Edge for Linux too!
        Yepp, can't wait. It can't come soon enough.

Comment

I guess cancer is cured, hope it won't come back!!

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

Yepp, can't wait. It can't come soon enough.
            In God's name...( or pick your brand of deity or no deity at all ) would you ever say that, when there is a perfectly good Chromium based browser built for anti-tracking and STILL gives you the ability to install privacy extensions in the form of the Brave browser ?? Even good ol Chromium sans all the Google trappings of Chrome would be better than Internet ExploderChromium.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
              "Microsoft's work on Mesa continues" <-- That is just *so* weird to read...
              Perfectly understandable and it is for me too. But then again, not so much seeing as how the cash cow and rent accumulation engines of Windows licenses and Office licenses is a mature and somewhat stagnant thing now for Microsoft. Microsoft's latest rent accumulation scheme is Azure. Why should they care if you purchase time on their Azure servers to run Linux, which Steve Ballmer once famously said was "Communist" and " a cancer"? Microsoft will happily take your money for your Linux instance and the way they ASSURE they get your rent payment is to make sure Linux runs like a well oiled machine on that Azure cloud by developing and improving various Linux bits and bobs such as Mesa.

Still though....it is a bit weird and mind bending. Like some alternative universe in which Ballmer and Gates never existed and we never had to witness the horror of this video....

Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers ...

Or this little gem from the introduction of Windows 95. Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates were SOOOOO excited that after over 10 years they were finally able to sell something that could somewhat pass as a Mac. The invention of the start button....wow...what a heady time !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

In God's name...( or pick your brand of deity or no deity at all ) would you ever say that, when there is a perfectly good Chromium based browser built for anti-tracking and STILL gives you the ability to install privacy extensions in the form of the Brave browser ?? Even good ol Chromium sans all the Google trappings of Chrome would be better than Internet ExploderChromium.
                Both are Chromium-based. Please explain, why should I switch from Edge to Brave? Why would it be better than "Internet ExploderChromium"?

Comment

**Edited and replaced with anarki2' original post below**
                  Last edited by Jumbotron; 26 September 2020, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

Both are Chromium-based. Please explain, why should I switch from Edge to Brave? Why would it be better than "Internet ExploderChromium"?
                    Microsoft's Internet ExploderChromium is not at 100% feature parity to Google's Chrome nor any other Chrome based browser

Internet ExploderChromium is also a bit slower than Brave which is the fastest browser out there with the exception of Apple's Safari particularly on iOS.

But most of all is that just like how its parent, Google Chrome, is wired to phone home to Google, ExploderChromium is hard wired by Microsoft to phone home to Microsoft's servers. Aside from the privacy issues and that phoning home serves, amongst other things, supporting ad rates on Microsoft's Bing search engine, the more that any browser phones home the more bandwidth you are wasting. If you are on a metered service like I am every little bit of bandwidth saved is more bandwidth I can dedicate to useful things before getting slowed down. Brave browser has been proven to phone home the least of all the browsers out there including Firefox AND its the most privacy oriented of the Chromium variants as the makers of Brave has stripped all of the spycraft Google puts into Chrome and then Brave builds into the Brave code, HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger. However, you can still install extensions such as Ghostery and my personal favorite uBlock Origin. Personally, I don't go on the Web without uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere and Webmail Adblock. In addition to my Firefox setup I add the Facebook Fence to those previously mentioned extensions. Unfortunately there is no current Chromium based browser, including Brave, that will allow Facebook Fence to be installed.
                    Last edited by Jumbotron; 26 September 2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X