Linux 5.9 Stable Expected In Two Weeks, But For Now Is Linux 5.9-rc7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9 Stable Expected In Two Weeks, But For Now Is Linux 5.9-rc7

Phoronix: Linux 5.9 Stable Expected In Two Weeks, But For Now Is Linux 5.9-rc7

Linus Torvalds just released Linux 5.9-rc7 as the newest weekly test candidate for Linux 5.9. Due to the regressions encountered this cycle and prominent issues being resolved late, he's looking at releasing Linux 5.9 in two weeks time rather than next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well I'll be damned:

Comment

With no console scrolling?

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
        With no console scrolling?
        Yep. Yep. Yep.

9/14

We Will Never Forget

Comment

Does that mean the regression will be fixed for the 5.9 release?

Comment

It will be a burning release, I'm sure...

No scrolling back! We will burn you, Linus.

Who will fork kmscon/frecon?

Comment

MT. VERNON, OH—According to sources in a dark, mysterious land known as the "Midwest," one visitor from California found himself horrified when he left his hotel to go for a walk and found that all the trees were on fire. He began to hyperventilate as he collapsed on the trail in panic and cried out for help.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yep. Yep. Yep.

9/14

We Will Never Forget
                I didn't even know scrolling was possible, and now that I know it's going away........well, I guess we could just have a userspace console like kmscon.

Comment

I guess Linus must have watched Prince of Egypt or some other Moses movie again, and hence all of the burning bush references.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

I didn't even know scrolling was possible, and now that I know it's going away........well, I guess we could just have a userspace console like kmscon.
                    As long as the kernel doesn't crash before getting to userspace, sure, that's a fine suggestion. I assume they did this change because they do most of their testing on VMs with vitrual terminals so they can rely on the scrolling features there versus running on bare metal where you do need scrollback. If you've ever had the kernel or system crash during what I call the grey zone between GRUB and systemd, which has happened to me in the past, you'd probably be more against this too. That grey zone when running on bare metal is the only time this code is useful because the init sytem can be configured to fire up a virtual terminal as step one...unless the init system crashes and then we're back to square one.

Comment

Working...
                    X