Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 2.1 Released With Some New Protocol Support, Many Fixes

Phoronix: Mir 2.1 Released With Some New Protocol Support, Many Fixes

Mir 2.1 has been released as Canonical's project around offering a set of libraries for constructing Wayland shells particularly with Snap confinement support and other Ubuntu-focused features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I use Ubuntu and Chromium is packaged with Snap and it is very slow to start.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Most Snaps and Flats are slow to start. When starting a program for the first time they have to fire up an entire runtime and then the application. After the first run they're usually not that bad and comparable to regular programs since that runtime is, well, running. A tip is to have some Snap or Flat program set to autostart upon login. I do that with Steam for Flats.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        What does that have to do with Mir 2.1? Ubuntu doesn't even use Mir...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Most Snaps and Flats are slow to start. When starting a program for the first time they have to fire up an entire runtime and then the application. After the first run they're usually not that bad and comparable to regular programs since that runtime is, well, running. A tip is to have some Snap or Flat program set to autostart upon login. I do that with Steam for Flats.
          Even "native" Steam (i.e. using the DEB rather than the Snap or Flat) is slow to start, so that's not even a Snap/Flat issue per se.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Even "native" Steam (i.e. using the DEB rather than the Snap or Flat) is slow to start, so that's not even a Snap/Flat issue per se.
            Steam on Windows 10 is the longest part of my boot up process. It doesn't even start fast on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The "runtimes" you're referring to, isn't something that's fired up. It's the same runtime you use when you use rpm or deb. It's usually called dependencies. However, in the case of Snap, the packages are compressed, which adds a bit to the loading of the program. And there's some setup on the first run, but that can obviously be ignored since adding a couple of seconds the first time you use a browser, isn't exactly a deal breaker.

Actually, I don't really care that my first browser window after boot takes three seconds longer to load than it would using an uncompressed format. For smaller things, like gcalctool, it's very different. There the difference is very noticeable because the normal start time is so very low.

By the way, if you use preload, then the extra start time will be more than offset by the time you spend entering your password at login.

Comment

Great news! I really liked that the developers successfully used the already existing and working protocols. I heard that Kwin also implements parts of wlroots.

Comment

Working...
                X