Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Xeon vs. AMD EPYC Performance On The Linux 5.8 Kernel

Phoronix: Intel Xeon vs. AMD EPYC Performance On The Linux 5.8 Kernel

Given that Ubuntu 20.10 will be shipping with Linux 5.8 out-of-the-box along with other autumn 2020 Linux distributions where Linux 5.9 is landing too late, here is a fresh comparison of several different AMD EPYC 7002 "Rome" and Intel Xeon "Cascade Lake" processors on this current stable kernel release for seeing how the performance is standing up as we approach this next round of Linux distribution releases.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by atomsymbol

I see on the photo that you are using Noctua fans. Is there any discernible difference in noise between Noctua self-stabilizing oil-pressure bearings and other types of bearings also claimed to be relatively silent?
    For me, not really, there are fans, that are similarly silent, but none are as consistent and none of them are as enduring, literally still running 80mm fans from ~2007, and they are still running like day one, 24/7 since then.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

I see on the photo that you are using Noctua fans. Is there any discernible difference in noise between Noctua self-stabilizing oil-pressure bearings and other types of bearings also claimed to be relatively silent?
      No idea about whether Noctua fans are relatively silent or not, because I'm not a professional reviewer and don't have spare fans for fair comparison.

My experience is they will instantly become hair driers if they're running at full speed (>1500rpm for 12" case fans and >3000 rpm for the NH-U9S CPU fan).

Comment

Because there is an I in intel and intel "can't give us the cores" can you also show uno epyc 7002 numbers ?
        I see mobo boards that only allow one 7002 epyc cpu.
        echostream 36x m2 nvme drive motherboard and gigabyte gigabyte mz32-ar0mz, etc, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by DooMMasteR View Post
          For me, not really, there are fans, that are similarly silent, but none are as consistent and none of them are as enduring, literally still running 80mm fans from ~2007, and they are still running like day one, 24/7 since then.
          This is my experience as well, with Noctua fans of similar vintage in a 100% duty cycle running literally 24/7/365, they just keep going. By far the most reliable of any brand I have used. I believe their quietness is primarily a function of their low rpm, although they claim there are additional design elements involved. They are certainly nice and quiet, but mainly I pay the Noctua price premium for the reliability and longevity. FWIW this post typed on an AMD Opteron PC built in 2012 with all Noctua fans, powered on 24/7, still runs like new today in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            PC built in 2012 with all Noctua fans, powered on 24/7, still runs like new today in 2020.
            How do you keep your fancy fans from getting caked up with dust over time? Do you periodically shut it down to clean them or do you have filtered air or something?

Comment

Working...
            X