NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Offers Up Incredible Linux GPU Compute Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Offers Up Incredible Linux GPU Compute Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Offers Up Incredible Linux GPU Compute Performance

Yesterday I finally received a GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card from NVIDIA for being able to deliver the first of our Linux benchmarks on the new RTX 30 Ampere series. What is immediately clear is the huge performance uplift for OpenCL and CUDA workloads with the RTX 3080 compared to its predecessors. The raw performance and even performance-per-dollar is staggering out of the GeForce RTX 3080 with the initial tests carried out on Ubuntu Linux. Linux gaming benchmarks will be out in the days ahead but for now is a look at the RTX 3080 compute performance across dozens of benchmarks and going as far back as the GeForce GTX 980 series for comparison.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Love them or hate them, Nvidia is still the standard by which all others are judged in GPU compute.

Comment

So the 30 TFlops as claimed by Nvidia are just 30% faster than 13 TFlops of a 2080 Ti. Interesting...

Comment

@phoronix
        Unfortunately we do not yet have an RTX 3080 or any ETA on when we may have that higher-tier card, but the RTX 3080 performance already is mighty impressive.
        I think you meant 3090.

Seems good overall at compute. Not entirely surprising since this is the same architecture they have in their data center solution. Still curious about their gaming performance.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
          So the 30 TFlops as claimed by Nvidia are just 30% faster than 13 TFlops of a 2080 Ti. Interesting...
          TFlops are TFlops. They're a bit like potential energy: useful if you put it to use, useless otherwise. But it's still there in both cases.

Comment

This is bad news about Intel. This indicates Intel is badly out of game. Nvidia managed to retaliate hard when AMD launched Navi. Intel haven't been able to do the same when AMD launched Zen.

Comment

Those results are... wierd. From one side certain stuff like Mixbench and luxcore seems to show how good new GPUs are I guess in single precision performance, from 2nd side it seems this GPU really suffers more on FP16 and FP64 side. Also I suspect it suffers more on int32 cores, since Nvidia in Ampere architecture made some cores FP32 and some FP32 OR INT32, while Turing was full FP32 OR INT32.

Wish there were some Quadros in test but I doubt Nvidia would provide them.
              Last edited by piotrj3; 06 October 2020, 12:59 PM. Reason: Quadro mention.

Comment

It would be interesting to see a comparison of x86_64 vs POWER9 performance for GPU compute, Nvidia especially. POWER9 has cache coherency features that might push performance even further; or it might have some driver deficiencies that destroy performance.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
                  Unfortunately, not every algorithm has linear time complexity.

Comment

The performance is weird for NN, because NN applications should easily eat up all ALUs and TCs.
                    Might be some software issue? I know VkFFT and RealSR only use VK but Caffe should be able to exploit TCs.

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                    This is bad news about Intel. This indicates Intel is badly out of game. Nvidia managed to retaliate hard when AMD launched Navi. Intel haven't been able to do the same when AMD launched Zen.
                    Xe would be DOA if doesn't have 40 TFLOPS theoretical performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X