Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FFmpeg Now Supports VP9 Profile 2 VDPAU Decode (10-bit / 12-bit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg Now Supports VP9 Profile 2 VDPAU Decode (10-bit / 12-bit)

Phoronix: FFmpeg Now Supports VP9 Profile 2 VDPAU Decode (10-bit / 12-bit)

New to the RTX 30 series and the NVIDIA 455 Linux driver is decode support with VDPAU for VP9 10-bit and 12-bit content, which can now be taken advantage of by the popular FFmpeg multimedia library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile mpv just disabled compiling of GLX backend and vdpau-vaapi wrapper doesn't work with dmabuf in Firefox. But I guess Nvidia users can still have fun by utilizing VDPAU in ffplay, it's the most convenient way to watch videos anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007
      Maybe using cuda?
      Works in mpv, but not with proper power saving and not in Firefox.

Comment

What's with Nvidia-only improvements ?
        Does Nvidia themselves develop these ?
        I have an Intel based laptop and AMD based desktop, but I guess this is not good enough for Ffmpeg, I don't get what's going on...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Works in mpv, but not with proper power saving and not in Firefox.
          porwersaving? enable webrender makes the firefox much slower no powersaving at all but a lot of gpu and cpu usage, chrome/chromium is much faster and light. Mozilla doesn't care about linux at alll

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            What's with Nvidia-only improvements? I don't get what's going on...
            What are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              What's with Nvidia-only improvements ?
              Does Nvidia themselves develop these ?
              I have an Intel based laptop and AMD based desktop, but I guess this is not good enough for Ffmpeg, I don't get what's going on...
              Nvidia does contribute work on FFMPEG, as Intel and AMD do, for their respective GPU decoding tech and methods. Each company has their own priorities and capabilities, depending on what they have on the market, so parity of support and performance between all three is rare.

Comment

I thought VDPAU was more or less dead.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post

Nvidia does contribute work on FFMPEG, as Intel and AMD do, for their respective GPU decoding tech and methods. Each company has their own priorities and capabilities, depending on what they have on the market, so parity of support and performance between all three is rare.
                  Ok, but where is Intel's or AMD's contributions on FFmpeg ?
                  I see pretty much news about Nvidia contributions only.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    I thought VDPAU was more or less dead.
                    It was. Several years ago, Nvidia abruptly and quietly terminated all VDPAU development, in order to force CUVID/NVDECODE (CUDA) on Linux users and developers, but programs like VLC and such didn't want to go to the trouble required to adopt it into their future builds, so after a few years of trying and trying and trying to get it supported, they gave up and resurrected VDPAU.

Comment

Working...
                    X